Extensor Action on the Downswing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have repeatedly tinkered around with my swing, specifically my wrists, in trying to achieve the Hogan/Sergio/Charles Howell -LIKE look on the downswing. I figured that I just did not have the wrist flexibility even when I double-cocked.

But as I study the swing sequences of those guys, keeping my eye on the level of FOLDNESS in the right elbow when the left arm is parallel to the ground on the way back as opposed to when the left arm is parallel to the ground on the downswing, I observe those guys really lead with the right elbow on the way down and really fold it into the side. I believe that it is this move that helps them create that "acute angle hold" on the downsing setting up the snap release.

So my question is how can they do this with their right elbow and maintain extensor action on the downswing?

Tom Bartlett

Administrator
Hey Darby,

Stand with the palm of your right hand touching the wall, arm fully extended. Lean into the wall a little so you hae about 20 degrees of right elbow bend. If you didn't have "extensor action" you would fall into the wall. You can increase the bend in the right arm on the downswing (float loading) by leading with the right elbow and still have the right arm trying to straighten. Hope this helps.

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
Archie...watch the flipper video. Somewhere in there brian says, "to get into this position that everyone seems to think is so convulated, all you have to do is hold on."

Not sure where, but it's in there.

quote:Originally posted by Archie Swivel

So my question is how can they do this with their right elbow and maintain extensor action on the downswing?

You can't tell whether or not Howell, Garcia, or Hogan use EA. But we do know some players who don't - Couples, Singh, and Sutton. We've seen the infamous photos of Couples and Singh with only PP #3 touching the shaft through impact, and Sutton uses a limp totally inactive right arm.

Tom , that is interesting , I always thought the wrists float loaded, but what your saying is that from the top increase the right arm bend but fully release it before impact or just after impact, hope this is correct, TIM

Tom Bartlett

Administrator
quote:Originally posted by TYORKE1

Tom , that is interesting , I always thought the wrists float loaded, but what your saying is that from the top increase the right arm bend but fully release it before impact or just after impact, hope this is correct, TIM

Float loading delays the wristcock until the start of the downswing. With a "frozen wrist" procedure the downstroke cocking action is "limited" to increasing the right elbow bend only.
Some guys have their wristcock at max at the end of their backswing and therefore have a frozen wrist, so all they can do at that point is add right elbow bend. And not double wristcock.

Status
Not open for further replies.