Extensor Action

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been fighting a rolling right foot for awhile now. Today I experimented with turning on the backswing with a slight bend in the left arm until I reached the Top and at that point I extended the left arm to set the top of the backswing. It was much easier to control the right foot if I waited to apply extensor action. Any problem with waiting to apply extensor action to just before the downswing?

Since Extensor Action in not an imperative is it OK to use it late in the backswing if it improves the dynamics?

Last edited:
I'm new here, so maybe this has been covered, but extensor action could be at ANY time in the backswing, downswing or even follow through - right? I don't think Golfing Machine mentions followthrough, however

I seem to find it easier to get extensor action on the backswing when I use a right forearm takeaway ..can really feel the right forearm pull the left arm taut

I do too. If you use a right hand pressure point to "hit with" is that also considered to be extensor action?

And if one uses the left hand to extned the club on the takeaway/backswing,
did Mr. Kelly consider that to extension action? I guess he defined it somewhere.

Mr. Kelley defined Extensor action as (to paraphrase) the right arm applying pressure on the left. Brian's example is to put on a long sleeve shirt, but take your left arm out of the sleeve and have it in the torso section of the shirt so that the left sleeve is limp. Now grab the end of the left sleeve with your right hand and use the right arm to keep the sleeve straight by applying pressure outward with it. This is the feel the Mr. Kelley talked about with regards to Ext. Action.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Should you artificially apply outward force to the left arm, with the right arm, during any portion of the swing.

If it helps you.

Harry Vardon didn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.