Faults and Fixes

Status
Not open for further replies.

bcoak

New
Brian,
I was hoping to start a folder where we can post some of our current (or ingrained) swing problems and get feedback on things we should try and check to possibly get back on track.
My current fault is a pull hook (low trajectory) with the driver as well as a pull with the short irons.
Anything I should look into changing?

bcoak wrote: "Anything I should look into changing?"

Try looking at the inside aft quadrant on the ball, not the back of the ball for starters. You want an inside out impact. Mind on your hands, eyes on the back inside corner of the ball.

quote:Originally posted by 300Drive

quote: Mind on your hands,

Can ANYone really explain this...AND, do you really believe that ANY player on tour (including Elkington) has his mind on his hands during the swing?
Especially Elkington. It beats keeping it in your azz. The hands are like a countersink to the pivot, nothing happens until the hands says time to move. Hing action occurs with the hands, that is the brains. Hinge actions controls the ball and every pro golfer knows what he wants to do with the ball before the swing.

Dr_J

New
Mind in the hands- to me this means keep it off the clubhead which is what all hackers do and tricks you into steering the clubhead and flipping it at the ball. This is the reason TGM relates parts of the club and imperatives to the hands (pp#3=lag, left wrist = clubface). You want your hands leading to hit the ball. Although I don't equate the two at all, it is much like saying swing the handle. Swinging or thinking about the clubhead is dangerous stuff. Get your mind off the clubhead and in the hands.

I believe almost all tour players think this way. But I have never asked one.

Yea, I hear all the good reasons of not thinking about the clubhead, etc....but...do YOU or do you believe any tour players "have there mind in there hands" as they are swinging the club????

this seems to me to be a " _ull _hit" phrase that Doyle says and does not really happen.

300: Homer wrote the book, he coined the term mind in hands as far as I know.

I think most good players have there mind in there hands, whether they think about it or not. If you pickup a pen off you desk, do you think about positioning your body to pick up the pen, or do you use the hand to control the movement and the body follows? I imagine it would be the latter. Good players will in most cases use there hands to control the clubface and sustain lag through impact.

300Drive wrote, "Yea, I hear all the good reasons of not thinking about the clubhead, etc....but...do YOU or do you believe any tour players "have there mind in there hands" as they are swinging the club????"

Absolutely, the ultimate simplification of golf is to monitor your right index finger (#3 pressure point), common to both swingers and hitters. When you throw a golf club or a small rock the weight of either goes against that finger. By monitoring that finger you will know where the club-face is where the club-head is, if your are on plane (the three functions, 1-L) and whether you are accelerating.

If they aren't, they should be.

hue

New

Yea, I hear all the good reasons of not thinking about the clubhead, etc....but...do YOU or do you believe any tour players "have there mind in there hands" as they are swinging the club????

Yes , on a subconscious level. They will not be thinking about their hands on a conscious manual level when playing.

quote:Originally posted by hue

Yes , on a subconscious level. They will not be thinking about their hands on a conscious manual level when playing.

thank you, NO ONE is consciously thinking about there hands "as they swing"...NO One. they are thinking target, tempo, draw, fade, whatever, but not there HANDS

300Drive: "NO ONE is consciously thinking about there hands "as they swing"...NO One. they are thinking target, tempo, draw, fade, whatever, but not there HANDS"

Sorry, I beg to differ. You won't reach your potential until you do. Again, by monitoring the right index finger (p.p. #3) you will know where the club-face is where the club-head is, if your shaft is on plane (the three functions, 1-L) and whether you are accelerating (avoiding throwaway).
Give it a try........

rwh

New

thank you, NO ONE is consciously thinking about there hands "as they swing"...NO One. they are thinking target, tempo, draw, fade, whatever, but not there HANDS

Jack Nicklaus may not agree with you. Here is what he said about his shot to 71st hole in the 1972 U.S. Open:

"It was at the famed 17th hole at Pebble, the long par 3 that borders the Pacific and which plays into the wind -- a particularly angry wind on this day. I had a three-stroke lead with two to play, and with 219 yards to the flagstick, went with my trusty 1-iron. In my backswing, I actually felt myself closing the clubface and working too inside my target line -- all spelling a hook. My tempo, however, was probably never as good as it was that week, and I was able to correct my swing on the way down. The ball flew low and true, and although I couldn't see the result, the crowd's roar told me exactly what I needed to hear. The ball bounced, hit the flagstick and stopped six inches from the hole."

I don't think Jack could have felt the clubface closing unless his mind was in his hands, since you can't feel the clubface closing other than through your hands.

Geez, dude, I don't look at the keyboard when I type or even think about shifting gears when I drive. I don't think about my hands, my hands ARE thinking. I bet the pros aren't thinking about any of that stuff you wrote either when swinging. Once you are swinging, was is there to think about? But fade, draw, yes, I bet their hands are while swinging, have to !

Dr_J

New
I think most of them DO think about their hands. I think that is why they are pros and WE are NOT. So many examples. Even Moe Norman, while hitting ball after ball, was asked what he does to hit a low punch. He didn't say anything, he just simply stopped hitting, got into impact position and put HANDS way ahead of the clubhead, almost to the ground. Just because you do not think about them....well anyway, I think pros think about there hands alot. If you really want to know ask Brian or Redgoat, they have worked with these guys and can tell you.

quote:Originally posted by Dr_J

I think most of them DO think about their hands. I think that is why they are pros and WE are NOT. So many examples. Even Moe Norman, while hitting ball after ball, was asked what he does to hit a low punch. He didn't say anything, he just simply stopped hitting, got into impact position and put HANDS way ahead of the clubhead, almost to the ground. Just because you do not think about them....well anyway, I think pros think about there hands alot. If you really want to know ask Brian or Redgoat, they have worked with these guys and can tell you.
IMHO, most pros do not consciously (as hue pointed out) think of their hand action while swinging.

In fact, a lot of them are changing their swings so they won't have to rely (consciously trying to horse the clubface around) on their hands as much through impact.

Burner

New
The hands are the golfers only point of contact with the club, they are his only means of controlling the clubface and the clubhead.

Educate the hands and by inference, and their controlling influence, you are educating the clubface and clubhead.

That is "keeping your mind in your hands" in practical terms.

Status
Not open for further replies.