Favorite Irons Of All Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZAP

New
My first set were Mizuno TP-9s followed by the MP-32s.
Something about the TP-9s has me longing for them.

Ping Eye 2 Beryllium Copper - The original Ping Eye 2's were great clubs, better than the later edition Eye 2 +'s.

At the time the featherlight craze was on, and Ping made a set called the EZ Lite, which were Eye 2's with the cavity scooped out. This made for an equally playable club, with a higer MOI.

When the lightweight experiment went into the trash heap, Ping was left with molds with nothing to do with them.

Ah....

If they could find a metal combo that would weight the same as the regular Ping heads, in the EZ Lite mold, they'd have something.

Beryllium Copper had been used before for limited edition putters, and would up being the exact weight with slight modifications.

Voila!

The greatest irons and wedges of all time.

No contest.

Interesting information Brian.

But what do you think of the weak lofts and offset? Won't that make these play short?

From a pure swing perspective, is the offset problematic?

+1 for the apex pc. I have never seen, in pictures or in the flesh, a more beautiful set of irons. I don't know what more you could want from a set of blades (except maybe square grooves).

+1 too for the pings. Surely the greatest non-blade ever, and without a doubt the most influential club design since fifers started bagging rutting irons in place of long-nosed spoons.

a personal favourite is the maxfli revolution. beautifully soft feeling iron and looked great. deserved to do better commercially - but lost out (IMHO) to more in-yer-face technology and bigger tour endorsement budgets.

Status
Not open for further replies.