Fill in the blank: I stopped flipping when I...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just as the title says, share your "i finally got it moment" when you learned how to not flip the club through the hitting area. Since I'm still flipping a little bit, I can't quite fill in the blank.

Thanks, I'm sure others can benefit from this as well ;).

Just as the title says, share your "i finally got it moment" when you learned how to not flip the club through the hitting area. Since I'm still flipping a little bit, I can't quite fill in the blank.

It was multi stage thing for me. Ordering confessions and working the hell out of the divot drill pretty much elimitated it. I still have/had a tendency to flip once and a while. The second stage was ordering never slice again and learning/implementing the twistaway. I think if you combine the twistaway and the divot drill from confessions, it'll be virtually impossible to flip it.

zarro, I agree. I have both of them as well; they have certainly reduced my tendency to flip. But, not quite eliminated it all together. I'm thinking it will take better use of my downswing pivot to eliminate the flip entirely.

I have heard many say that if your hips and shoulders rotate through impact, you can't flip. Unfortunately, if I focus too much on rotating the upper body, I tend to hit big ole slices.

geoffb

New
I stopped flipping when I... started sending my right shoulder down plane instead of around. Sure there were other things too, like aiming point and the flying wedges to name a couple, but in the end, it doesn't matter how well you know or want to do those other things if you run out of right arm. A right shoulder going down plane will prevent you from running out of right arm and allow you to maintin you alignments through impact.

I'm with Jim

Same issue. It took a TGM style guy in Mark Evershed to help me out. Problem was, I was already a competent "player" just not a quality striker and I had a hard time buying into it at first. Too many band aids. We didn't have the video confirmation I needed to get my stubborn head around it. Funny thing was I touched on it as a junior and almost had it until I convinced myself via my teacher that what I was doing right was actually wrong! I still hit the leaky hook from time to time.

bts

New
Sustain the lag.

Instead of releasing it, you sustain the lag through impact.

When i learned that i flip because my clubface is too open.

Me too Jim...I have a tendency to get under the plane with an open club face and have to flip it to close the clubface. After lessons w/ Brian last month I've been hitting ever club in the bag further and more solid. Still a work in progress of course, but we never really worked on not flipping it...more just fixing the path of my swing....The flipping has kind of taken care of itself!

Jim, how did you fix your clubface? Twistaway?

Thanks for all the great inputs thus far; hopefully, we will see some more.

The elusiveness of the correct feeling

... when I started to FEEL that I could use my PIVOT to transport the PRESSURE on the lower forefinger BEHIND the sweetspot ALL the way to the AIMING point mostly about a foot ahead of the ball... without doing ANYTHING else...

... when I started to FEEL that I could use my PIVOT to transport the PRESSURE on the lower forefinger BEHIND the sweetspot ALL the way to the AIMING point mostly about a foot ahead of the ball... without doing ANYTHING else...

thats deep but I like it

Thanks for all the replies. Here is something to consider....

Do you think that tension in the swing would cause one to have trouble creating and sustaining lag?

BTS, you mentioned sustaining the lag, would you say a tension free swing helps with that?

Last edited:

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
Jim, how did you fix your clubface? Twistaway?

Thanks for all the great inputs thus far; hopefully, we will see some more.

I went from a "Never Slice Again" who used "twistaway" and a "full roll swivel" putting the club "on the movie screen" to someone who then used the "Never Hook Again" with the "lift, drop, rotate" and eventually migrated into something in between the two and now i just maintain or tinker to have fun but the general principles of my swing haven't changed in over a year.

I stopped flipping when I:

Learned how to hit down on the ball

When I was taught how the hands should work in the golf swing

When I smashed the heck out of an impact bag for several months

I learned how to actually play golf when I learned that impact is not a static position.

I think that all my time purposely practicing on hardpan helped out

Jared Willerson

Super Moderator
I stopped flipping as a result of "Confessions" and the purchase of a small tire that I bashed and bashed until I could move the tire like Ben Doyle.

...when I used my forearm strength to hold a bent right wrist to follow through.

But I really learnt it when I learnt how to wallop it with my pivot.

Fake it until you make it...haha.

I imagine that it would be tough to hit off hardpan with a flip, much like hitting full shots out of a sand trap.

Status
Not open for further replies.