Flatten the Downswing

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK. I am a TGM convert and have been working on my chipping and pitching, flying wedges, and extension for a while. I played for a whole bunch of years with a neutral grip (left thumb middle)and hit straight or fade to slice (when hitting hard). I suspect my years of slicing were probably due to over the top and poor hinge action (stupid hands).

My question is, does the down swing flatten as you move down. If so, what actually causes it to flatten? I have looked at innumerable photos and most good to great players flatten coming back down to the ball.

To tell the truth, I though hip action (slight lateral move) did it but my brother in law says bunk. He says, push my hands down as I begin my downswing (which apparently I lack the skill to do).

Is it simply extension action of the right arm that flattens it or is it an optical illusion?

Does it matter if you return on the same plane as you go back as long as you are on your orignal set up plane?

Any advice and/or insight is greatly appreciated. My buddies have lots of thoughts on this subject, most not real good I imagine. I would greatly appreciate some TGM insight.

Kevin

You can come into the ball on any plane you wish - the three most common are turned shoulder, elbow, and address(shaft) plane. TGM is about choices, not some "method".

I am trying to get back down to the elbow plane to the ball. I do tend to keep my right elbow close to my right side (opposite of Jack N). On the downswing, I try to focus on getting my down to impact fix in a straight line from the top (not sure if that is correct) but that seems to help. I have heard others discussing driving the right shoulder down but I think when I try to do that it throws mine out and then over the top.

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
The only people who should learn to swing on the elbow plane are those that do it naturally. I've always read and even Homer said i believe, that those who use the elbow plane do it subconsciously.

Jim,

Which do you use? Why? How do you begin your downswing motion? Thought I would ask. Thanks for the answer. All are helping. Boy, did that read funny?

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
I'd have to ask brian to be sure, but i'm pretty sure i come down the turned shoulder plane. Again i'm not 100% sure. I'll find out in a couple weeks when i see him though.

I begin my downswing with a pull on the right forearm. However i'm sure that is just a "feel" for me. I've see myself on video and can see my hips/lower body beginning to move before my arms do anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.