Flipper questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Finally managed to get a good enough connection to sort out the streaming and ordered COFF. Loving it so far, but a couple of things I would like to confirm.

For now I would just like to know whether I am heading in the right direction. The divots would suggest so, but some of you guys might have been in the same situation at some stage and could corroborate if possible.

The main feeling is that the right shoulder is closer to the ball at impact. Does this sound right?

Divots; I am taking them. I rarely did before, even with wedges. I could practice off the same square foot of turf all day.

Ball flight is significantly lower. Sounds right to me. Is this something I should be expecting?

The hit also feels late. Does that make any sense?

Loving the feeling of adding a bit more ‘play’ to the wrists in the backswing too. Is there anything else I can be doing to promote more wrist action going back (to make it easier for myself on the way through)?

It not all sweetness and light though. When it goes wrong, my hands are ahead of the ball, but the face is way open – back of the left hand more to the sky than the target. Might be opening up too much during the backswing, but is there anything I can check or should be looking at to sort this out?

Cheers!

ggsjpc

New
All this sound very typical and the side effects are correct for the medicine. So far, you've got it nailed. Keep going and trust what you are currently feeling.

The main feeling is that the right shoulder is closer to the ball at impact. Does this sound right?

To me, it's more about getting the mechanics right and then trying to come up with a 'feel' so you can repeat those correct mechanics.

So, it's very common for golfers to think that there's a feel that all or most golfers can use. Instead, feels are usually subjective.

In other words, if the mechanics are good and it feels to you that the right shoulder is closer to the ball at impact, then that is the right feel for you.

Divots; I am taking them. I rarely did before, even with wedges. I could practice off the same square foot of turf all day.

Generally golfers who get rid of the flip can start taking divots. Some guys like Tom Watson don't take many divots, but most golfers will start taking divots.

The big difference I noticed when I got rid of the flip is I could hit the ball off of tougher lies much, much better. Ball goes in a divot? I can get it out of there. Muddy lie? No problem. Hardpan? Piece of cake.

Ball flight is significantly lower. Sounds right to me. Is this something I should be expecting?

Yes, usually the angle of attack gets steeper when you stop flipping, causing the ball flight to go lower, but it's more of a driving flight than a cream puff flight.

The hit also feels late. Does that make any sense?

Yes, 'lag' is simply another way of saying the clubhead is trailing the hands. When you flip, the clubhead doesn't trail the hands. So when you get a FLW at impact, the clubhead makes the feeling of a 'late hit.'

3JACK

Thanks gents. Very useful. Didn't want to head off on the wrong track, but sounds like I now have some things I can monitor on my own for feedback.

Cream puff flight! Bang on! Especially with the newer bigger headed drives. It is like I am carrying a bag full of wedges some days.

Status
Not open for further replies.