Flipping the club, do I need to "carry"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jwat

New
Hey Guys,

I would appreciate any feedback from the forum on how to cure my underplane swing. I have had 2 lessons with Brian in the last year. We keep working on my carry, but I can't carry past my lesson. My downswing is so robotic. Does anybody have any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5-E9Qyr1TU[/media]

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omLwE4E39YM[/media]

ZAP

New
All I can tell you is that the ladder drill and the hurdle drill were the two that helped me learn the "carry". The interesting part about some of Brian's stuff is the things that tend to help me are the things I least expect. I do not remember which videos theses were in but I am pretty sure they were in COFF. edit: although now that I think about it they might be in NHA.

I wouldn't worry about carry. I would focus on footwork. Your legs look wooden. You need some more knee flex and some spring in your step, so to speak. Watch some golf this weekend and compare yourself to Pro's relative to footwork/leg action.

JJKing

New
You have a lot of weight on your front leg at the top with some degree of reverse pivot. From there you have no choice but to move more weight to your back foot coming down and thereby get under everything with the face likely open and the path out to right field. A better pivot to start with would be a good thing like the "crossing guard" pivot.

Just my 2 cents :)

Jwat

New
I wouldn't worry about carry. I would focus on footwork. Your legs look wooden. You need some more knee flex and some spring in your step, so to speak. Watch some golf this weekend and compare yourself to Pro's relative to footwork/leg action.
I definitley need some more knee flex in my swing. I just really start to reverse pivot when I focus on this. Don't know why, I am exact opposite of most people.

You have a lot of weight on your front leg at the top with some degree of reverse pivot. From there you have no choice but to move more weight to your back foot coming down and thereby get under everything with the face likely open and the path out to right field. A better pivot to start with would be a good thing like the "crossing guard" pivot.

Just my 2 cents

Totally agree, obviously I am not the lean limber guy. So a pivot for me has to be alot more exagerrated. It takes alot more momentum to get this body moving.

Is it me or is the face really shut at the top? Looks like a hold off type move and flip into impact?

You are absolutley correct. I twistaway and if I don't keep my left arm straight my left wrist bows over and really closes down the face.

I don't believe you need more "carry", the BS pivot is killing you. IMO, you need to go with a NSA pattern/set-up and pivot. Fix the BS pivot and you should be able to get to the inside of the ball with the club approaching on a better angle without the "throwaway" cast you have in the DS.

Jwat

New
I don't believe you need more "carry", the BS pivot is killing you. IMO, you need to go with a NSA pattern/set-up and pivot. Fix the BS pivot and you should be able to get to the inside of the ball with the club approaching on a better angle without the "throwaway" cast you have in the DS.

So you mean to take a steeper shoulder turn? That should give me a more dynamic pivot, or at least some sort of pivot anyways.

But do I really need to come into the ball anymore inside? Looks like I am already swinging towards right field.

vj, u and I have same body type so your input is always greatly appreciated.

So you mean to take a steeper shoulder turn? That should give me a more dynamic pivot, or at least some sort of pivot anyways.

But do I really need to come into the ball anymore inside? Looks like I am already swinging towards right field.

vj, u and I have same body type so your input is always greatly appreciated.

NO on the steeper shoulder turn. Someone already mentioned the "crossing guard" pivot and I would take that advice. Some people call it the "reverse K" position at the top. Check out pivots like Cabrera, Sadlowski, Hogan, Tiger(1997), Bubba Watson, etc. I think you need to get your body in a better spot so you can allow the club to perform better. There are different ways to swing the club right, left, or on plane. I have had pretty good success with the NSA pattern and that is what I am sticking with. I think it would help you as well.

Jwat

New
NO on the steeper shoulder turn. Someone already mentioned the "crossing guard" pivot and I would take that advice. Some people call it the "reverse K" position at the top. Check out pivots like Cabrera, Sadlowski, Hogan, Tiger(1997), Bubba Watson, etc. I think you need to get your body in a better spot so you can allow the club to perform better. There are different ways to swing the club right, left, or on plane. I have had pretty good success with the NSA pattern and that is what I am sticking with. I think it would help you as well.

Okay so I went outside and swung with the steeper shoulder turn before I saw this post. Yea disasterous!

http://www.youtube.com/user/utilisav#p/u/1/SPEeroKHwvs

http://www.youtube.com/user/utilisav#p/u/4/vNMf8VZvYsE

http://www.youtube.com/user/utilisav#p/u/2/dzJ2vLmMg94

I would bet a fair amount of money that your left hand grip is a major part of your problem. You have the club too much in the palm of your left hand and not enough in the fingers. This shows itself in your inability to create an angle that approaches (somewhere in the area of) 90 degrees. Could also explain why, as Kevin said, you swing your arms with your arms. I think Brian goes over the grip in one or more of his videos. Very, very important to get this right.

Jwat,

It looks like you might be overdoing the twistaway and you should try de-energizing those arms. Let your arms float a little more going back.

Matt

Agree with above. There is very little wrist cock during the backswing. The club at the top is barely past vertical. Maybe too much tension in forearms preventing a natural wrist cock. Maybe try some float loading.

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
ally like JJKing's advice as well as sideyard's about floating arms. A backswing that moved weight out of the left foot would allow some better pivot momentum so you arms can drift to the top better allowing a "fall" back on your front foot, giving you some time to carry.

Jwat

New
ally like JJKing's advice as well as sideyard's about floating arms. A backswing that moved weight out of the left foot would allow some better pivot momentum so you arms can drift to the top better allowing a "fall" back on your front foot, giving you some time to carry.

JJKing & Kevin, thanks for the tip on getting behind the ball. Today I really worked hard on that and definitley made an improvement as far as my turn and my pivot I think. Anymore suggestions?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVnzzDv8AOM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38ivIGCdKYk

But first,

Please fix the grip and the clubface at the top.

Brian, how does the grip and clubface look? Not perfect, but a little better?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-u1HeHqW4w

I am trying to get more wrist cock. Right now I feel like I am having to hinge my wrists straight up to get where I am getting to now. How do I get more on the backswing, or how do I retain more on the downswing?

If you pause the video at the top of your backswing and look at the shaft. Pretty much pointing pretty much straight up in the air. Picture the shaft getting to parallel to the ground and ask yourself why you can't get there.

I suggest it's a combination of the grip itself and squeezing the hell out of the grip. When you get rid of the tension in your hands and arms, you won't have to try to cock your wrists.

Jwat

New
If you pause the video at the top of your backswing and look at the shaft. Pretty much pointing pretty much straight up in the air. Picture the shaft getting to parallel to the ground and ask yourself why you can't get there.

I suggest it's a combination of the grip itself and squeezing the hell out of the grip. When you get rid of the tension in your hands and arms, you won't have to try to cock your wrists.

This is something I have always struggled with. Besides the grip pressure, I have really tight wrists. Always have, old college baseball player.

Do you think maybe I can just try and create more wrist cock during the downswing? More like a Steve Stricker type downswing.

Different strokes for different folks. I'm remembering the golf channel episode of the female commentator playing with J. B. Holmes. No wrist cock and he can play a bit!

Status
Not open for further replies.