FLW with chip shots

Status
Not open for further replies.
You set up with the handle leading the club, as with all shots; but you don't push the clubhead back to the ball: you drag it.

No need to worry about the wrist: if you do this it takes care of itself.
dead hands helps, making the club move via shoulder motion.

It depends on what I want to do with the chip, but most of the time I do what the above poster listed but use my core with a wee bit of right hand thrust to power the shot.

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
timm said:
Do you set the FLW with left hand on chip shots.

Yes and i use a hitting procedure with drive loading and i believe what's called a "push elbow" 99% of the time.

I have commented about this before that it is just so much easier to hit your chip/pitches and i believe more accurate as well than it is swinging them.

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
Perfect Impact said:
Right WRISTBONE thrust, not palm unfolding thrust unless you are cutting it on purpose, no?--the flop or floater.

Correct, i'm pusing on pressure point #1 which is where the cup of the right hand meets the left thumb. For me i just think pushing against my left thumb.

Push with a flat left wrist all the way to both arms straight UNLESS i'm adding some "throw" for a specific shot.

dbl

New
Birdieman, good catch. I was going to say the same thing.

Why post a "one way" method at a site like this to people who want a tgm perspective?
shrug.gif

It's not about "have to." It is about what works easiest for most normal chip shots. It takes MUCH greater skill and clubhead control to chip with much hand action. Of course some shots do require it...

What is a tgm perspective?

When you talk about shaft lean at setup, I believe it is the best way: i.e. to set up EXACTLY AS THE CLUB IS MFRD TO HIT THE BALL, i.e., WITH shaft lean. The most on the shortest clubs and the least on the driver; but hands always arrive before clubhead unless there is a special purpose for some other procedure.

Using shaft lean is a way to control timing and perfect impact; ppl who set up 'willy nilly' regarding that or with disrespect for ball position based ON it are fighting consistency.

And I do believe HK had something to say about that.

Perfect Impact said:
When you talk about shaft lean at setup, I believe it is the best way: i.e. to set up EXACTLY AS THE CLUB IS MFRD TO HIT THE BALL, i.e., WITH shaft lean. The most on the shortest clubs and the least on the driver; but hands always arrive before clubhead unless there is a special purpose for some other procedure.

Using shaft lean is a way to control timing and perfect impact; ppl who set up 'willy nilly' regarding that or with disrespect for ball position based ON it are fighting consistency.

And I do believe HK had something to say about that.

On the short game I set-up between mid-body hands and a flat left wrist because it is a comfortable position and because even on the shortest chip shot I load the #3 pressure point and maintain it through the follow-through. At the same time, I think what PI says is a very good starting point and a player with some experience can do some experimenting making sure that the FLW is maintained through impact.

IF you are a fan of the FLW --- but I am a fan of a foldingback left wrist after impact--not that that is in conflict. But if you try to HOLD anything during a release, that would go against the abandon and trust I think is the optimum.

dbl

New
If it's only a "preference" to have the shaft lean forward, you didn't word things to show that.

Chips can have lagging clubhead takeaway and float loading, so there are a lot of options for getting a FLW. Your statement was as I described a "one way" authoritative statement, and if you meant it some other way then you will have to work at choosing your words.

You set up with....

Sorry, but that was written inflexibly.

Better ways:

One way to set up is with the ....

I prefer to have the clubshaft...

If you want to ensure a FLW, you could set it at address...

Also
Birdieman was correct that you wrote your preference was "as with all shots" and that was also inflexibly written, and at the least confusing.

Last edited:
You are right about making statements that way. I know better...

I do find it odd that setting up for any shot without respecting the mfr. shaft lean is apparently so "optional" for best results. Looks like we might disagree.

The golfer has options on this.....same with in TGM....experiment with what works best.

Myself, I like mid-body hands for most shots...

I put more weight on my left foot for punch shots and pitches and chips.....which in itself moves me into more of an impact hands setup.

Status
Not open for further replies.