Follow the Yellow Brick Road

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brian, others,
How do you get yourself to "Follow the Yellow Brick Road" if you are not doing it correctly? What are some common problems that prevent one from swinging left enough after impact? Downswing under plane? My question is concerning swing mechanics not steering and all of the swing the clubhead down the line mental garbage.

Thanks,
Jim S.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
The Yellow Brick Road

For those of you who may not know, "The Yellow Brick Road" in the Manzella lexicon is simply the visual of the clubhead—to the golfer—as the clubhead goes up plane after low point.

To answer Jim's questions, the first question that has to be answered is this one: Why would a golfer swing too far to the right in the first place, since most golfers swing left of the "yellow brick road"?

Well, lets go back one more level, the reson most golfers swing "left of the yellow brick road," or more precisely, swing through the ball below the plane, is because they have an open clubface and are trying to "play their slice,"a and start the right curving ball left (enough) of the target.

So...Why would a golfer swing too far to the right in the first place, since most golfers swing left of the "yellow brick road"?

Because the clubface is TOO CLOSED!

So...Jim asks: "What are some common problems that prevent one from swinging left enough after impact? (And), My question is concerning swing mechanics not ...all of the...mental garbage."

Here is a short list:

1. Having the right shoulder move below the plane

2. Excess axis tilt

3. Hips and shoulders not opening enough

4. Over-Acceleration

Thanks Brian, I always appreciate your explanations. Went back and watched "Never Hook Again" again. With your improved perspective on physics and biomechanics, are there any additions or changes you would make to "Never Hook Again" to improve it?

Jim S.

You can't plant me in your penthouse
I'm going back to my plough

Back to the howling old owl in the woods
Hunting the horny back toad
Oh I've finally decided my future lies
Beyond the yellow brick road

Pot of Gold search

Well, I was able to get to the range for a little while Saturday and after digesting Brian's earlier thoughts and Never Hook Again, my ball striking was back. I would have liked to have played to see how I would have held up on the coarse. Brian, others, a couple of follow up questions. It is my normal tendency to backswing underplane, to ingrain getting the club "up the wall" it feels very vertical obviously, If I start getting too far above plane what will happen to my ball flight to help me know it is too far above plane? Also Brian mentioned over-acceleration as a problem, is making sure that your hips are ahead of your shoulders are ahead of the clubhead the way to combat over-acceleration problems, but still be able to hit it hard when needed? Thanks again.

Jim S.

You can't plant me in your penthouse
I'm going back to my plough

Back to the howling old owl in the woods
Hunting the horny back toad
Oh I've finally decided my future lies
Beyond the yellow brick road

This was exactly the same thought I had when I openned the thread. You even started and ended at the exact words I was thinking.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
FrisBEEEEE!

Well, I was able to get to the range for a little while Saturday and after digesting Brian's earlier thoughts and Never Hook Again, my ball striking was back. I would have liked to have played to see how I would have held up on the coarse. Brian, others, a couple of follow up questions. It is my normal tendency to backswing underplane, to ingrain getting the club "up the wall" it feels very vertical obviously, If I start getting too far above plane what will happen to my ball flight to help me know it is too far above plane? Also Brian mentioned over-acceleration as a problem, is making sure that your hips are ahead of your shoulders are ahead of the clubhead the way to combat over-acceleration problems, but still be able to hit it hard when needed? Thanks again.

Jim S.

Just make sure the backswing is a LIFT and the downswing is a DROP, and you can "THROW THE FRISBEE" as hard as you want.

Status
Not open for further replies.