For Brian: How to fix pull hook?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brian,

Unbelievably to me, with my driver I have gone from being a chronic slicer to a pull-hooker.

I'm not sure if my feels are correct, but I think I may be turning my hands over at impact and closing the face.

I also may be spinning out with my hips, although I'm not sure.

If it helps in your diagnosis, my main swing thought recently has been to "paint the wall behind me" with the club head on the downswing.

I'd be grateful for your thoughts as to how to fix this problem. Thank you very much.

gumper

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Brian,

Unbelievably to me, with my driver I have gone from being a chronic slicer to a pull-hooker.

I'm not sure if my feels are correct, but I think I may be turning my hands over at impact and closing the face.

I also may be spinning out with my hips, although I'm not sure.

If it helps in your diagnosis, my main swing thought recently has been to "paint the wall behind me" with the club head on the downswing.

I'd be grateful for your thoughts as to how to fix this problem. Thank you very much.

gumper

You need to back extend more.

I'll try to shoot a little video to explain.

Thanks Brian

Thanks Brian. I look forward to the video.

I never thought I'd live to see the day that I'd complain about my drives going *left.*

gumper

Thanks Brian. I look forward to the video.

I never thought I'd live to see the day that I'd complain about my drives going *left.*

gumper

LOL...same here. However, the good news is that the skills learned from being in all the trouble on the right are somewhat easily transferred to being in trouble on the left. :p

If the face is responsible for 80-85% of initial direction, a pull hooker must have the face closed quite a bit. I think this happens (with me at least) when my pivot stops and my hands run past my body.

Brian... hurry with that video!

If the face is responsible for 80-85% of initial direction, a pull hooker must have the face closed quite a bit. I think this happens (with me at least) when my pivot stops and my hands run past my body.

Brian... hurry with that video!

I second that.

Clue. Lack of flexibility?

I think that I could pull hook every of my drives consciously now. But when I'm on the course I don't dare to do all that stuff I've learnt from the Never_slice_again video. (Twistaway)

Should I practice drives on the range, hook them like h*ll and go from there to adjust other stuff?
Damn, it's so easy to start blocking the shots...

Last edited:
I have been using twistaway consciously in the downswing since a lesson with Manzella in June. For every well hit draw, I hit either a duck hook, or a pull hook. A couple of things has helped significantly. First, the wedding ring up swivel is performed with a down arching flat left wrist. If you swivel with a bent left wrist, the ball will hook. Keeping the left wrist flat while swiveling, practicing without a ball, definitely slows down the hook. Second, I placed my head more over my right knee at address. Brian mentioned it in our lesson and I have not paid enough attention to that. In my last round, after five duck hooked drives in a row, I stuck the right head back and hit a drive 270 with a draw that is my tee shot of the year. Neck needs to stay behind the tailbone throughout, if you do that while swiveling with a flat left wrist it prevents hooking it too much.

A couple of things has helped significantly. First, the wedding ring up swivel is performed with a down arching flat left wrist. If you swivel with a bent left wrist, the ball will hook. Keeping the left wrist flat while swiveling, practicing without a ball, definitely slows down the hook.

What is the difference in the bolded terms? I thought down arching is the act of bending the wrist?

What is the difference in the bolded terms? I thought down arching is the act of bending the wrist?

I think he is meaning "bent" meaning flipped toward target and "arched down" meaning bent slightly away from target= a little flatt left wrist insurance so to speak.

I have been using twistaway consciously in the downswing since a lesson with Manzella in June. For every well hit draw, I hit either a duck hook, or a pull hook. A couple of things has helped significantly. First, the wedding ring up swivel is performed with a down arching flat left wrist. If you swivel with a bent left wrist, the ball will hook. Keeping the left wrist flat while swiveling, practicing without a ball, definitely slows down the hook. Second, I placed my head more over my right knee at address. Brian mentioned it in our lesson and I have not paid enough attention to that. In my last round, after five duck hooked drives in a row, I stuck the right head back and hit a drive 270 with a draw that is my tee shot of the year. Neck needs to stay behind the tailbone throughout, if you do that while swiveling with a flat left wrist it prevents hooking it too much.

Wow! Of course! That's a great note, rogerdodger!

It's very easy to see. I did a swivel at home, a second ago, with my special shaft_shortened_home_practice_club. :) (It's night in Lund, Sweden at the moment - very dark outside...)

Took the club to wedding ring position - and yes, my wrist was a bit bent - took it slowly back to a sort of impact position, and mama, was the clubface shut?! Oooh yeah!

Thanks rodgerdodger.

Status
Not open for further replies.