? for instructors & better players

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you actively release or is your release a result of a pivot swing thought? Also, is your release procedure a result of Mr. Manzella's instruction?

Thanks,

GG57

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
when you get to a very high level it should be automatic. HOWEVER, that's not to say that as my swing progressed that I didnt have to consciously at some point. Make sense?

Reply to Jim

Jim,

Yes, it makes sense, but given your experience, is that something that is more common among your students.

I've had a lesson with Brian and worked with his videos (flipper & building blocks). I just can't actively release well. The timing is often wrong. My most effective method is using pivot ideas like left shoulder up & back and letting release happen. Thus, I'm trying to see if my problems fall within the norm or I'm a bit different.

Thanks,

Ray

Goodgolf......first off great name. Try this article from Brian. I really should be renamed Archive Diver. I do most searching in there.

http://www.brianmanzella.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5774&highlight=actively+release

Another interesting point is shafts. Are you swinging to make your equipment work for you, or is your equipment designed to work with your current swing. Looking for lag pressure, grab the wimpest shaft on any club ( somethings gotta be in the lost and found lol) and try and delay the release past the ball........if you dont lag it, shafts gonna hit in the head if you flip it (kidding) .

Suns Reply

Suns,

Thanks for the reply. I have that article in my personal archive. My equipment isn't all that great, but at least it is a set and it matches my swing speed. I put off buying because I want to build a good swing first. Two kids in college don't help.

Ray

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
Jim,

Yes, it makes sense, but given your experience, is that something that is more common among your students.

Yes, especially for people with open club face problems. Most have been flipping and they need to learn to ROLL the left arm. This can take a while to get.

I've had a lesson with Brian and worked with his videos (flipper & building blocks). I just can't actively release well. The timing is often wrong. My most effective method is using pivot ideas like left shoulder up & back and letting release happen. Thus, I'm trying to see if my problems fall within the norm or I'm a bit different.

Thanks,

Ray

No, you're within the norm. Sometimes you'll roll right and sometimes you wont. Hell happens with me too! The key is to keep a steady pivot, slow it down and you will roll it faster and might start hooking it.

For me...

I never try to actively release the club, i.e. uncock or roll my wrists deliberately. My arms follow my body. My hands hold on. My pivot pivots. The club gets released.

For me...

I never try to actively release the club, i.e. uncock or roll my wrists deliberately. My arms follow my body. My hands hold on. My pivot pivots. The club gets released.

Thanks for the input. This works best for me as well, however, I could be better, hence the thread.

GG57

Yes, especially for people with open club face problems. Most have been flipping and they need to learn to ROLL the left arm. This can take a while to get.

No, you're within the norm. Sometimes you'll roll right and sometimes you wont. Hell happens with me too! The key is to keep a steady pivot, slow it down and you will roll it faster and might start hooking it.

Jim,

That's what Brian was working on with me. Unfortunately, I didn't schedule enough time to really get a handle on it and I'm struggling.

Also, I have no problem hooking it with neutral grip, unfortunately, it's a leakage hook.

Status
Not open for further replies.