For the instructors here?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leek

New
Often times, you give a student very specific instructions. How do you feel when they come for the next lesson and haven't mastered what you taught them?

Leek

New
Well back to the original question.

Often times, you give a student very specific instructions. How do you feel when they come for the next lesson and haven't mastered what you taught them?

Steve Khatib

Super Moderator
Almost all havent mastered it although they might think they have(they need prompting by the instructor then it should be no problem if the information is good). Brian says "I can fix em, wether they stay fixed is up to them" I think you should rephrase your initial question to : How many students actually listen only to their instructor and attempt to do only what they ask of them until their next lesson?

Leek

New
Fair enough fourbarrels. Let's rephrase it:

How many students actually listen only to their instructor and attempt to do only what they ask of them until their next lesson?

vandal

New
Sorry, I'm not a golf instructor. This is just my two bits as a teacher, but teaching is teaching.

A lot of factors play into these questions. How well was the information delivered; how well was the information received; how much practice was involved. Also, what is an acceptable level of mastery? The best teaching practices allow for a series of steps -- I show, we do, you do, you teach. The theory is that one can not truly master something until they can teach it as well.

Of course with golf more factors come in as well, such as natural ability and practice time. I'd say to ensure the greatest possible chance for success that golf instructors, just as teachers, need to determine an acceptable level of mastery and then teach to it before the student leaves. The idea here is that no student does homework on anything that they are still struggling to learn because it can introduce too many possible missteps and bad habits along the way. Homework, just as practice, is best utilized when the skill is already learned.

Jared Willerson

Super Moderator
Sorry, I'm not a golf instructor. This is just my two bits as a teacher, but teaching is teaching.

A lot of factors play into these questions. How well was the information delivered; how well was the information received; how much practice was involved. Also, what is an acceptable level of mastery? The best teaching practices allow for a series of steps -- I show, we do, you do, you teach. The theory is that one can not truly master something until they can teach it as well.

Of course with golf more factors come in as well, such as natural ability and practice time. I'd say to ensure the greatest possible chance for success that golf instructors, just as teachers, need to determine an acceptable level of mastery and then teach to it before the student leaves. The idea here is that no student does homework on anything that they are still struggling to learn because it can introduce too many possible missteps and bad habits along the way. Homework, just as practice, is best utilized when the skill is already learned.

Agreed.

However, in my experiences as a teacher, discovering things by yourself is also a great way to learn.....But, that takes motivation, which usually only the most talented possess.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Well...

Personally, I would feel like either I gave them the wrong material for them, taught it to them wrong—for them, or missed the ROOT CAUSE of the problem and was trying to fix a symptom.

vandal

New
Agreed.

However, in my experiences as a teacher, discovering things by yourself is also a great way to learn.....But, that takes motivation, which usually only the most talented possess.

Agreed. That is also a skill that most people don't have, and unfortunately we forget to teach its importance. The motto shouldn't be that "Failure is not an Option" rather "Celebrate Our Failures."

WOW

Personally, I would feel like either I gave them the wrong material for them, taught it to them wrong—for them, or missed the ROOT CAUSE of the problem and was trying to fix a symptom.

I applaud you whole heartedly for that answer. So unheard of these days.

I'm not a teacher by degree or job, but I teach all day long. I think I've lost my frame of reference until I read your post.

Thank you

Brian Manzella

Administrator
No, Thank YOU.

I applaud you whole heartedly for that answer. So unheard of these days.

I'm not a teacher by degree or job, but I teach all day long. I think I've lost my frame of reference until I read your post.

Thank you

This is the basic "Mission Statement" of the Manzella Academy:

Get 'em to do it.​

Status
Not open for further replies.