Forward Lean Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Assuming you are NOT swinging out to right field, how likely is it that a player can have too much forward lean at impact?

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
A lot, the less in/out you swing the steeper the attack angle USUALLY is thus the steeper the angle the more room you have to lean it further.

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
I must disagree, I havent seen hardly anyone ever swing out to in and have too much forward lean. The out hand path and steep angle causes a late shallowing and spine angle change throwing away all the lean.

I agree with Kevin on this one.. Plus with the outwards hand path and steep shaft angle they have to back up on it and throw the clubhead at the ball to try and bottom out the swing - almost impossible to have shaft lean.

Ratio from "flippers" to "leaners" I'd guess 50-1 - unless your a college coach or teaching alot of good players

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
You are assuming all people who are "out/in" are flipping; if you aren't flipping the steeper the plane angle the easier it is to achieve forward lean.

Guitar Hero

Assuming you are NOT swinging out to right field, how likely is it that a player can have too much forward lean at impact?

Martin,

As you well know you want different angles of forward lean with different clubs and shots. I use to have one of my trainers set at a certain degree of forward lean for chipping and pitching and have golfers train with it. I now know that you need to have different amounts of forward lean available on the trainer to find what will work for different golfers. The trainer is now adjustable for many different degrees of forward lean and you can find what works the best for that golfer and have them hit balls and train with it.

John W Rohan-Weaver

Wouldn't a low cut be the result of an out to in swing with a lot of forward lean?

A low cut would be aiming left (open/open) tracing a straight plane line with the clubface looking to the right at impact - and yes with forward lean. Not an out-to-in swing path.

Martin,

As you well know you want different angles of forward lean with different clubs and shots. I use to have one of my trainers set at a certain degree of forward lean for chipping and pitching and have golfers train with it. I now know that you need to have different amounts of forward lean available on the trainer to find what will work for different golfers. The trainer is now adjustable for many different degrees of forward lean and you can find what works the best for that golfer and have them hit balls and train with it.

John W Rohan-Weaver

:) I wish I would have know that 25 years ago! See you at the Show.

You are assuming all people who are "out/in" are flipping; if you aren't flipping the steeper the plane angle the easier it is to achieve forward lean.

I'm standing here trying "air guitar" the scenario and it is possible.

That isnt true at all. If that were true, you would see some out to in swings have forward lean and you dont.

I don't see it on the lesson tee either, thus my question to you guys. The steep swings I see tend to be trying to recover from a wide open face and generally flip, fall back and chicken wing.

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
We are talking about forward lean, not attack angle. Steep swings are crashing, not going forward. Hence the term, forward lean. Baseball players have tons of lean and its mostly a horizontal movement. So the more axis tilt you have and inside horizontal path the more lean you can have.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
We ain't talking about no hacker here....

On TrackMan, the further inside-out I swung,, the less downward my clubhead was moving at impact.

NO MATTER WHAT ELSE I DID!!!

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
The more your head is behind the ball and the more the club is coming from behind you the more your hands have to be forward to hit it.

Z

Zztop

The more your head is behind the ball and the more the club is coming from behind you the more your hands have to be forward to hit it.

it seems to make sense but can you do it or can the average golfer do it before they fat it or thin it?

Status
Not open for further replies.