Get fit!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leek

New
I have struggled to control the clubface for years. I never knew when I would hook or pull the ball, and didn't really know why. Often when afraid of the left ball, I would hit a push or sometimes a slice, especially with the driver.

I recently decided to get new irons, so I went to my local professional and scheduled a fitting session. We started with my irons, then moved to test clubs.

I brought a selection of clubs from my main set, backups and another set. He had me hit balls on a lie board with various clubs from my sets first. Every single one was 2 degrees too upright, but I was hitting reasonably straight shots! Then he started testing different lie angles until we found the one that soled properly at impact. He commented I was blocking and quitting my pivot with my irons to keep them straight, and every time I actually completed the pivot and swung left with my irons, the ball would go left.

To clear up any misconceptions, I had been fit several years ago by a manufacturer rep at a demo day. It might have been right at the time, or I may have suffered from letting a saleperson fit me instead of a professional.

Aha! I realized that if I swung that way with the driver it would go right! Then I got new irons properly fit, and what do you know- I only need one swing and it hits the ball farther and straighter!

I cannot imagine how much I restricted my ability to improve through improperly fit clubs!

spider

New
Last year I finally had my irons checked. I knew they were too upright and that it would send the ball left more often. This was especially true with my wedges.

Well it turned out most of my irons were 2-3 degrees too upright and my wedge was almost 4 degrees too upright. Not too big a deal with a 3 iron but get to a wedge and that makes a huge difference.

Long story short... right after getting them bent correctly went out shoot in the mid 70's easily never worrying about sending a ball left that entire round. It gave me confidence to swing through and not quit on the ball. Of course that confidence wore off pretty quickly but it sure was nice for a few days. :)

Michael Jacobs

Super Moderator
Fitting

VERY VERY IMPORTANT
Lie Angle fitting is MAJOR!!! Go get fit! Even if you like your set , they can always bend your clubs

I check mostly everyone
Finally got a chance to build the teaching set up I had been hoping for

Classroom with 45 inch flat screen, HD Camera, The best lie loft machine, a putter fitting system -- the whole full service

Michael Jacobs

Super Moderator
I got all my equipment from mitchell golf --- Tour gauge putter machine and fitting system -- It is great, whole thing cost about $2,000 -

Needed for completeness of my services

Leek

New
Mike- what percentage of students come to you with lie angles that are off by a degree or more. How much do these influence the way they swing the cub?

Damon Lucas

Super Moderator
I got all my equipment from mitchell golf --- Tour gauge putter machine and fitting system -- It is great, whole thing cost about $2,000 -

Needed for completeness of my services

What do think are the most important 'aids' in a successful teaching operation?

What else would you like to have?

Status
Not open for further replies.