Going Normal...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's a couple swings where my intent was to get normal as quickly as possible:

I was surprised at how much lag there was even though it felt like I was trying to line it up immediately.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
JKlag.jpg

That Manzella is teaching an early release and throwaway!!!!

I think its amazing how much easier (and natural) it is to go normal when you are downwind. Not that my ball flight is any higher...if anything, with the CP Release my divots are shallower and the ball flight is lower. Playing into a stiff headwind tends to make the weight go left so quickly that their doesn't "feel" like there is enough time to line up...consequently the divots are deeper and the ball flight is too high.

Makes me think that consciously shifting weight to the left (rather than letting the momentum of the clubhead pull you left) on any swing could be a real problem in some player's swings.

Did those golf balls somehow insult you or hurt your feelings? I only ask because it sure looked like you returned the favor. Nice swing!

Was there a difference in ballflght and if so, what was it? How bout the length and depth of divots?

The ballflight is much higher but still has a penetrating quality. Divot length is about the shape and size of a dollar bill. As for the depth well that was varying. It took a little experimenting to figure out the right combination of back extension and rotation. Unfortunately, my body still needed a little nudge to get into the right place and couldn't rely solely on intent.

Now the divots are much thinner and the superintendent doesn't hate me anymore.

S

SteveT

@JKGolf .... Have your club distances changed by going normal .... increased, decreased, same..?

How about accuracy... any change with different clubs?

@JKGolf .... Have your club distances changed by going normal .... increased, decreased, same..?

How about accuracy... any change with different clubs?

Yes, my distance has increased. Those shots in the video were going about 200yds w/ a 7 iron. My max before was about 185yds. Keep in mind that my intent was to line it up as quickly as possible. Typically I wouldn't be swinging that hard.

Direction hasn't changed much. It seems that my accuracy has gotten better when I get the club lining up more with "jump up" or back extension rather than my hands. But that's me.

S

SteveT

@JKGolf .... That means your clubhead speed has spiked... you should check out your new speed because that creates a different golfswing form.

I believe 'going normal' is just the usual centripetal force, but 'jump up' is a form of parametric acceleration and 'toss-out' changes your kinematic (not kinetic) chain of segmental swing events (hips. shoulders). Can you separate them out to determine where your speed spike is coming from...?

@JKGolf .... That means your clubhead speed has spiked... you should check out your new speed because that creates a different golfswing form.

I believe 'going normal' is just the usual centripetal force, but 'jump up' is a form of parametric acceleration and 'toss-out' changes your kinematic (not kinetic) chain of segmental swing events (hips. shoulders). Can you separate them out to determine where your speed spike is coming from...?

Steve,

It feels like the speed is mainly coming from the jump up and rotation. However, they do seem to sequentially speed up based on my intent to line the club up faster. I've experimented with lining the club up with my hands but it seemed to have a negative affect on my sequence. It also seemed tougher to control the amount of shaft lean I delivered at impact.

I'd love to get on a 3D machine to see what's really going on.

Dariusz J.

that 170 page thread is setting off some fires.......

It is unbelievable how these people must be ignorant in the history of the golf instruction. In the search of being original they even "invent" new names. "Break-back release" ? It's plain ridiculous.
I said many years ago that the slap-hinge release will have its grand reopening some day.

Cheers

They say nothing is every really new......

I think with regard golf this isn't far off. Michael and Brian's latest ideas may not have NEVER been seen before if you take each piece....

The basher will all say "Oh, that's just xyz theory from back in blah blah"

But putting it all together in one place, along with some never before thought information.....

Yep :cool:

Haters keep on hating, let's just hope they improve like everyone else at this game while they bitch and moan that this isn't new :eek:

Dariusz J.

They say nothing is every really new......

I think with regard golf this isn't far off. Michael and Brian's latest ideas may not have NEVER been seen before if you take each piece....

The basher will all say "Oh, that's just xyz theory from back in blah blah"

But putting it all together in one place, along with some never before thought information.....

Yep :cool:

Haters keep on hating, let's just hope they improve like everyone else at this game while they bitch and moan that this isn't new :eek:

Is your comment directed at me perhaps ? If yes, then let me explain some things - I am wholeheartedly against trying to present an old stuff decorated by new names that gives the picture to of inventing something new, as in case of this vid I commented before and a few more examples in the net.
OTOH, Brian does something entirely different; even if he discovers sometimes old truths via current scientific methods he enriches the old stuff with a modern quality explanations, such a e.g. coupling point. Did Cotton mentioned about it ? Nope, he had no chance to even think about it without possibilities to analyze lots of data. He would prolly be grateful that his concepts are still alive and validated. OTOH, would Cotton be happy to hear someone basically says the same he did pretending to invent something now ? I doubt so.

Cheers

Wasn't directed at you Dariusz,

Just at those who seem to not accept anything that doesn't fit in their map of the world or goes against their own business of selling golf instruction and seem to be afraid of change.

Thing is, although they are in the golf business, Brian and Michael are total golf geeks (in a good way) they just want to learn what is the best information, and how best to teach it so people get better. The better they do this, the better golfers get, the more money they make.

Win Win Win

(But making millions isn't their thing, otherwise they would not put this much free information out there, or charge such reasonable rates for their videos)

They love golf, golf swing and teaching.....

It's just annoying to see and hear of people sending them hate mail, I mean really?

Does everyone who teaches for a living credit Harry Vardon every time they teach the overlapping grip? They credit their sources and know what they are doing.

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
It is unbelievable how these people must be ignorant in the history of the golf instruction. In the search of being original they even "invent" new names. "Break-back release" ? It's plain ridiculous.
I said many years ago that the slap-hinge release will have its grand reopening some day.

Cheers

Of course. It was always written off as "oh, those tour pros are just so talented and they just have so much practice time, blah blah". Anybody with a set of decent eyeballs could see that this is what the best players have done for ages. However, I think you would agree that the way the info is being packaged around here lately hasn't been matched anywhere before? With the science to back it up along with mandrin's contributions. I haven't read everything by any means so I'm not sure. I can think of several books ( one really comes to mind) that were spot on regarding several points, but the thoroughness here has really helped me and made the whole thing easier to understand, use and teach.

Status
Not open for further replies.