Golf shoes

Status
Not open for further replies.
hello all,

what shoes can you recommend for increasing my connection to the ground on both backswing and downswing? preferably as thin a sole as possible (and I know that metal spikes help too).

Thanks,

James

It's all personal preference so you will probably get as many different answers as you do replies.

Obviously, metal spikes are king. If you've never worn them it's hard to appreciate how much better they are. But, there's no denying that they are hard on greens and even harder on the carpet at the clubhouse. I sure do miss that "click...click...click... when you would walk across the cart path.

I stick with FJ's primarily. Not because I think they are the best shoe it's just that they fit my foot better than most others and they last a long time for me.

I've tried about every soft spike there is and I still prefer the "cyclone" that comes in the Dry Joys Tour. I don't care for the "Stinger" spikes that FJ offers in a bunch of their shoes. I tend to replace my soft spikes pretty regularly since I am a little OCD and the golf shop here always stocks the FJ Cyclone spikes so it makes it easy for me to keep fresh ones in my shoes.

The FJ Superlights come with a very thin sole if that is what you are looking for. I prefer a traditional looking shoe but several of the Tech players wear the Superlights and they really like them.

Anyway...it's all subjective and there will probably be several people that have different opinions.

Happy hunting.

Jared Willerson

Super Moderator
I wear FJ classics. Not a better shoe ever made. One can talk about how great the new space age looking offerings from Nike and Addidas are but nothing compares to a broken in pair of FJ classics. They hug the ground, feel extremely stable and last forever.

Shame on FJ for ever discontinuing them. You can still get them on eBay.

I have some Asics Gel TourLytes that are not bad. I think it depends a lot on the soft spikes you're using. I prefer Champ cleats. 3 of the courses I play are soft spike preferred, so when I play them I put the nails in.

3JACK

Golf Shoes

Agree - FootJoy makes thee or one of the best golf shoes for quality and comfort. I've personally moved onto tennis shoes - less expensive, comfortable and work great - unless you play on wet grass then maybe an issue.

Check out True Links Wear..they are a little ugly, but work GREAT. They are sort of minimalist and very comfortable. Ryan Moore wears them.
By far the best golf shoes I've ever worn.

Erik_K

New
Vibram Five Fingers!

I lift a lot of weights and occasionally go jogging and hiking. For the hell of it I started to using my Vibram Five Fingers on the course and I really like them. I tend to wear out shoes rather quickly. The arches normally break down and I get tired of purchasing sport specific shoes (on top of the regular sneakers) each season. My feet are in a lot less pain and I much less fatigued after 9 holes (walking).

Erik

ZAP

New
Vibram Five Fingers!

I lift a lot of weights and occasionally go jogging and hiking. For the hell of it I started to using my Vibram Five Fingers on the course and I really like them. I tend to wear out shoes rather quickly. The arches normally break down and I get tired of purchasing sport specific shoes (on top of the regular sneakers) each season. My feet are in a lot less pain and I much less fatigued after 9 holes (walking).

Erik

Which model Five Fingers do you play golf in?

Only one shoe designed to keep your foot as close to the ground as possible - RUN DMC wrote a song about 'em.

Check out True Links Wear..they are a little ugly, but work GREAT. They are sort of minimalist and very comfortable. Ryan Moore wears them.
By far the best golf shoes I've ever worn.

Agree 100%! I bit the bullett on these at PGA Superstore in Myrtle - best footwear investment I've ever made. The main concern I had was slipping, but after playing in some pretty crappy weather ( including the 2nd round in Myrtle Beach after I bought them ) I can honestly say I slipped more in my spikes than I ever have in these. The first time my wife saw them she was like "WTF" ;) - but I prefer function over looks. Matter of fact, I just ordered another pair today!

Last edited:

hp12c

New
hello all,

what shoes can you recommend for increasing my connection to the ground on both backswing and downswing? preferably as thin a sole as possible (and I know that metal spikes help too).

Thanks,

James

Just my 2 cents in I like a heavy shoe, I tried the light shoes and didnt like them, affected my swing. I didnt feel connected to the ground. Bought a pair of etonics and felt much better, a little tougher to walk in but a worthwhile trade off. Good luck.

Aer

Status
Not open for further replies.