Grip Pressure

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's been a longstanding idea that tight grip pressure will inhibit a free swing and clubhead speed. This has been preached as long as I have played golf but I haven't read any hard evidence to support this. It's one of those seemingly common sense things and that is why I now question it. I think Mandrin said that the centrifugal weight of the golf club nearing impact is like 100+lbs, but I'm supposed to hold that weight as I would hold a bird :confused:

There's been a longstanding idea that tight grip pressure will inhibit a free swing and clubhead speed. This has been preached as long as I have played golf but I haven't read any hard evidence to support this. It's one of those seemingly common sense things and that is why I now question it. I think Mandrin said that the centrifugal weight of the golf club nearing impact is like 100+lbs, but I'm supposed to hold that weight as I would hold a bird :confused:

I believe that part 2 of that cliche' is that the hands automatically grip the club firmer in direct response to the changing forces in the swing. I've swung like this before, and hit the ball a mile, without losing the club. But you HAVE to have good grips. If your hands feel any hint of slippage, you'll have a hard time swinging with a very light grip pressure.

I believe that part 2 of that cliche' is that the hands automatically grip the club firmer in direct response to the changing forces in the swing. I've swung like this before, and hit the ball a mile, without losing the club. But you HAVE to have good grips. If your hands feel any hint of slippage, you'll have a hard time swinging with a very light grip pressure.

Good grips are crucial, I agree. But is it really necessary to swing with light grip pressure? That's what I question.

Good grips are crucial, I agree. But is it really necessary to swing with light grip pressure? That's what I question.

Naw. I've had rounds where I've swung with really firm grip pressure, too (I tinker alot). Like Brian said, the main thing is having wrists that are loose enough to properly perform their functions.

Status
Not open for further replies.