grip slippage

Status
Not open for further replies.
hello,

i have a problem with my left hand grip, in that it tends to slip during my swing. the hand will move so that the butt of the club will no longer by under the heel pad but in the centre of my hand (i.e. the grip on the side of my left hand).

is my grip on the shaft too big?

cheers,

james

Your two center fingers on your left hand should just brush the fat pad on your left thumb.
What size golf glove do you wear? What size are your grips? Measure them two inches down
from the top the grip with a caliper. Lots of reference info on the internet about grip size.

Finally, is your glove in good shape? Do you wear a glove? Are your grips slick or tacky?
These are the obvious questions to me. You should be able to work through this.

James,

Your post is timely; I'm battling through the same issue, actually. I've been working on my grip for quite some time now -- at least since late last summer, really -- still trying to find the correct positioning of the left hand.

The problem I'm experiencing is, at impact, my left pinky finger fails to hold on to the grip tight enough; the middle two fingers do hold on, though and touch my palm at address. Post impact, the grip loosens, and the clubface closes. Over time, I've subconsciously over-compensated for this by adjusting setup, grip and alignment incorrectly. The left hand really is that important, I've determined.

I'm doing simple drills now to address the issue and strengthen my grip: gripping the club, and extending it out away from my body, and parallel to the ground to ensure it's square to target at address. Otherwise, I'm at a loss for what to do, which is why I've turned here.

For what it's worth, I did a good amount of research on human anthropometry (the measurements and proportion of anatomy) and found that, over all, I have a larger hand (80th percentile of adult men) with a large palm (90th percentile) and small fingers (30-40 percentile). Now, my hands are not oddities -- they appear normal -- its just the component pieces are different, i.e., I'm "human".

Help.

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
Couple problems:

1) Grip is too large
2) Incorrect grip
3) Hand is too small

believe it or not i have a student who cannot get the entire grip under the left heel pad and even went to the extreme of very thin grips and it didn't work. what did we do? i converted him to a strong grip and let it be more up in the palm. he hits it fine

From my experience a few more:

Loosening grip in the transition to compensate for an over the top move (helps to get the club on plane).

Too violent transition.

Not gripping firmly enough or not enough hand strength.

Drew

From my experience a few more:

Loosening grip in the transition to compensate for an over the top move (helps to get the club on plane).

Too violent transition.

Not gripping firmly enough or not enough hand strength.

Drew

Brian found this exact flaw in my swing. I was adjusting my grip at the top of the swing. He gave me a drill that has worked wonders. Take a dollar bill and place it on top of the left hand thumb and then take your right hand grip. This should have the bill secured by both hands. While hitting balls as normal, the bill will bring to your attention any re-gripping you may be doing during the swing. This forced me to start using proper pivot and arm rotation to square the face. I've never had greater control over the club face then I do now.

grs

New
In the past I have had this problem usually because I grip too close to the butt end of the club, try choking up a little the more you choke up the thinner the grip so then you can determine if its a grip size issue as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.