Hands above the Plane on Downswing

Status
Not open for further replies.
My hands tend to above the plane throughout most of the downswing, which often times results in pulls and/or chunky shots. I would suspect this is caused by an over-the-top move. Here is what I have tried with mixed results to remedy my out-to-in swing...

1. Axis Tilt
2. Clearing the Hips
3. Right Shoulder Down
4. Target Alignment

Oddly enough, the thing that seems to work the best is to think "get the hands down before they get out."

Any of you swing doctors out there have any other recommendations? And, do you think getting the hands down is a good swing thought?

Thanks!

hue

New
Try working with something like this http://www.golfjustlikethepros.com/Dual_Laser_Grip.htm
You can use two smallflash lights taped to a shaft also. Work on the butt end of the flash light pointing at the base line while making a backswing to make sure it is on plane . Then move your hips left and trace thr plane line with the butt end with your hands . Do over and over to validate and check it in a mirrow.

Try working with something like this http://www.golfjustlikethepros.com/Dual_Laser_Grip.htm
You can use two smallflash lights taped to a shaft also. Work on the butt end of the flash light pointing at the base line while making a backswing to make sure it is on plane . Then move your hips left and trace thr plane line with the butt end with your hands . Do over and over to validate and check it in a mirrow.
You can also buy a two foot piece of 1/2" PVC pipe...those mini mag flashlights fit perfectly into each end!!

c21,
Try turning on your backswing with a flatter hip turn. You may even need to feel as though you are trying to get your right hip lower than your left at the end of the backswing. Don't make some perverted backswing trying to get your right hip lower, make a good hip turn and feel whatever you need to feel to make it more level. I hope that this helps, if not move on to other advise from much more knowledgable people than me.

Jim S.

Jared Willerson

Super Moderator
c21,
Try turning on your backswing with a flatter hip turn. You may even need to feel as though you are trying to get your right hip lower than your left at the end of the backswing. Don't make some perverted backswing trying to get your right hip lower, make a good hip turn and feel whatever you need to feel to make it more level. I hope that this helps, if not move on to other advise from much more knowledgable people than me.

Jim S.

This is exactly what I am trying to do in my pivot, make them more level, with the feeling that my left hip is level or higher with my right hip at the end of the backswing - learning to do this without adding flex to the right knee is the key.

starretj, glcoach, thanks for the input. I'll try working with level hips as well. But, I have to admit, thinking about getting the hands down has me hitting the ball great for two day in a row.

Keep on striping it!

starretj, glcoach, thanks for the input. I'll try working with level hips as well. But, I have to admit, thinking about getting the hands down has me hitting the ball great for two day in a row.

c21,
I'm glad that you are hitting the ball great. Keep on with what you are doing. I have battled a problem with the pulls and leveling my hip turn has helped me immensly. I just thought that it might be a help for you, but doesn't seem to be something that you need so keep on doing what you are doing.

Jim S.

Status
Not open for further replies.