"Hands pull the Pivot" backswing and a slingshot or archery type feel?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leek

New
I've experimented with a Right Forearm Pickup, where it feels as if the right arm/side pulls the left side back and takes all of the slack out of the left side, there may be even slight resistance by the left side and it creates a feeling that I imagine is like an archer pulling a bowstring until it is very taught, or the same feeling with a pulling back a slingshot until the tension is so great you can't pull it back any further. Once that tension is released, the left side just almost explodes forward with little control over the pivot or anything else. I will say this, there is no way you could flip!

I am not sure this is an effective idea. Has anyone else played around with something like this? IF so, what were your results?

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Backswing Order

Either the PIVOT can lead the parade and then the hands catch up and pull the club to the top.....or.....the HANDS can just lead and pull the pivot to whatever spot that is needed.

I despise the "pop" terms for the two different procedures, and the MANZELLA MATRIX will have terms that make sense, and are CLEARLY defined.​

So.......what about which one to use—pivot first, or hands first?

My experience is that for maximum distance & the draw side of the MATRIX, I go with PIVOT first. For shorter shots & the fade side of the MATRIX, I like the HANDS first.

You can hit any shot with either, however—obviously.

These choices are just a VERY, VERY SMALL part of the different backswings possible.

Do you slide some to the right while your HANDS PULL? Do you do that with STEEP shoulders? Or, do you use NO SHIFT and hope for the hands to PULL your weight as well? etc, etc.

So many choices....;)

Leek

New
Brian- I'm experimenting with RFP and a steeper shoulder plane on my backswing in order to try to move the club on the backswing plane we discussed in my last lesson. I believe my choice of a shoulder turn takeaway effected my ability to get the club where you wanted it. Additionally, I believe my pattern right now should be somewhere between NHA and soft fade.

My past takeaway was a "push" by the left side. I figured out more of a "pulling action" by my right side allowed me to get that additional lift. One byproduct, is that feeling of additional loading with some slight resistance by my left side. At the top, once the lower body begins the pivot, it seems to cause a rebound effect and my left side explodes into a pivot. It is not the hands leading the forward pivot at all. In fact, it FEELS like there is additional lag pressure.

My concern is could this flatten my downswing plane a bit and keep me on my lifelong journey where I'm underplane on the downswing with an inside out path.

Hi Leek,
You brought up very good topic in "archer pulling a bowstring", create internal restriction for coiling, it is depend on how your rt elbow plan and swing plan are, pls advise what is the ball react? draw or fade? can you post swing video?

Leek

New
Hi Leek,
You brought up very good topic in "archer pulling a bowstring", create internal restriction for coiling, it is depend on how your rt elbow plan and swing plan are, pls advise what is the ball react? draw or fade? can you post swing video?

I can do either draw or fade from there. Natural shot is a draw, but we are working to get me to a soft fade. My goal is to get my plane more upright, both on the way back and through. I won't post a video, per forum rules.

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
Brian- I'm experimenting with RFP and a steeper shoulder plane on my backswing in order to try to move the club on the backswing plane we discussed in my last lesson. I believe my choice of a shoulder turn takeaway effected my ability to get the club where you wanted it. Additionally, I believe my pattern right now should be somewhere between NHA and soft fade.

My past takeaway was a "push" by the left side. I figured out more of a "pulling action" by my right side allowed me to get that additional lift. One byproduct, is that feeling of additional loading with some slight resistance by my left side. At the top, once the lower body begins the pivot, it seems to cause a rebound effect and my left side explodes into a pivot. It is not the hands leading the forward pivot at all. In fact, it FEELS like there is additional lag pressure.

My concern is could this flatten my downswing plane a bit and keep me on my lifelong journey where I'm underplane on the downswing with an inside out path.

Leek, this is my pattern as well. As long as you don't get axis tilt until AFTER you fall on the left leg, and your shoulders open proportionately enough, the club really has alot less chance to fall underplane.

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
I thought so. The reason why you like this style of swing is because it gets you more UP and LESS IN which helps you from not swinging too far right and thus don't hook it.

Status
Not open for further replies.