Hanging back on right foot

Status
Not open for further replies.

hp12c

New
I'm going through a bout of this. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

gumper

Hey gumper,

Back and forth drill, with balls lined up in a row about 5 inches apart. Then walk into the balls and strike them while continuing to swing back and forth, while increasing your back and forward swing. In other words on the 1st and 2nd balls its a chip swing then on the 3rd ball its a pitch swing 4th ball a little longer etc,etc.

Art

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
most of the time hanging back is because you moved too far off the ball in the backswing; FEEL LIKE (to you) that you are making a more s&t or reverse pivot type backswing; you won't actually do it but it will feel like it to you to keep you from moving off the ball.

OR

if you are hanging back on the downswing you are not unwinding enough and simply tilting too much in most cases; hit some balls using some carry and try and get some pull fades going. THEN work back to your normal shot, it will probably feel a lot more left than you have been swinging.

Drill

what is this supposed to accomplish? curious.

I have seen a lot of my students react to very high drives but turning thru with a more dynamic body action to keep the ball down; even a higher right side thru impact. I first used it as a drill when I saw "hang back" as a result of too little loft and too stiff shaft. Figuring if that caused hang back maybe the opposite would help turn thru, and it does work. Actually John Jaobs showed it to me many years ago...

Erik_K

New
most of the time hanging back is because you moved too far off the ball in the backswing; FEEL LIKE (to you) that you are making a more s&t or reverse pivot type backswing; you won't actually do it but it will feel like it to you to keep you from moving off the ball.

OR

if you are hanging back on the downswing you are not unwinding enough and simply tilting too much in most cases; hit some balls using some carry and try and get some pull fades going. THEN work back to your normal shot, it will probably feel a lot more left than you have been swinging.

This is often the case, but path is important too. An overly steep path may prevent the student from making a full turn through the ball. In either event check you probably want to check the path/ball flight and maybe get on video and verify that you aren't making a big move off the ball.

Erik

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
I rarely see someone get to the right side on the backswing and then hang back there as its commonly being portrayed nowadays. Hanging back is almost always a compensation to either early unwind or underturned. Both leave the player in an impossibly high/above plane hitting position and they "hang back" to back the club up to find the ball.

The only time people make a decent turn and hang back is if they pivot around the right leg on the downswing to try to play their slice.

I rarely see someone get to the right side on the backswing and then hang back there as its commonly being portrayed nowadays. Hanging back is almost always a compensation to either early unwind or underturned. Both leave the player in an impossibly high/above plane hitting position and they "hang back" to back the club up to find the ball.

The only time people make a decent turn and hang back is if they pivot around the right leg on the downswing to try to play their slice.

Or think the club is a spatula for pancakes....pancakes Charlie Murphy!

Hang back is very common actually. It is essential for under turned, over the top, steep and late. It is usually done from outside, rarely inside. Many mid/high handicaps can't play without hang back. Good players hang back sometimes from too little loft or too stiff shaft.

Status
Not open for further replies.