hanging back on right leg

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m fighting a case of hanging back on my right leg at impact and into the finish to the point that I am practically standing just on that rear leg. Needless to say, this results in terrible fat shots. I know that at the finish, I’m supposed to be able to stand just on the front foot, I also know that my knees/thighs should be touching at the finish, that my right shoulder should finish closer to the target than the left shoulder, etc. In short, I know what I’m supposed to do, I just can’t consistently do it.

This has me wondering: Is this hanging back actually the result of something that I do earlier in the swing? If it helps in a “diagnosis,” I have always fought a steep, OTT downswing and a tendency to dive down into the ball, but I thought that I had improved in those areas, so now I’m at a loss.

I don’t hang back on every shot, just enough to ruin a round. Suggestions as to how to fix this would be greatly appreciated. I really want to get at the root cause of my problem.

Thank you.

gumper

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
Most likely you are swaying off the ball in the backswing and/or over leaning to the right. Tighten up the backswing a bit more.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
So....

I’m fighting a case of hanging back on my right leg at impact and into the finish to the point that I am practically standing just on that rear leg. Needless to say, this results in terrible fat shots. I know that at the finish, I’m supposed to be able to stand just on the front foot, I also know that my knees/thighs should be touching at the finish, that my right shoulder should finish closer to the target than the left shoulder, etc. In short, I know what I’m supposed to do, I just can’t consistently do it.

This has me wondering: Is this hanging back actually the result of something that I do earlier in the swing? If it helps in a “diagnosis,” I have always fought a steep, OTT downswing and a tendency to dive down into the ball, but I thought that I had improved in those areas, so now I’m at a loss.

I don’t hang back on every shot, just enough to ruin a round. Suggestions as to how to fix this would be greatly appreciated. I really want to get at the root cause of my problem.

Thank you.

gumper

Richard,

If there is one key thought that can prevent the "hang back" on your right leg syndrome, it is tying the movement of your left hand and arm toward the ground—the "down-twist" of the clubface so-to-speak—with the backing into the target with your backside.

I know that you have worked on those things in the past, but that is really the only things that can be done to fix this problem for good.

So....

What you (we) need to do, is find alternate WAYS to accomplish those two items.

For the last two days, I have worked on the" extend the divot" drill from "Confessions..." that has helped me get my weight forward and has reduced the chance that I will dump my wrists behind the ball. I do think that I was swaying on the back swing as well.

gumper

P.S.- Mats don't help with this problem! I had to tear up my back yard a little to work on this.

Status
Not open for further replies.