Harrison Shot Maker

Status
Not open for further replies.
The claims by Harrison are sketchy. They claim 40% improvement in accuracy, but don't really offer a good explanation of exactly how that's achieved other than a reduction in "side spin". I've offered to do outdoor testing at our fitting facility with a large sampling of skill levels using 3D Dopplar radar, but surprisingly there's been no interest so far. :rolleyes:

I will get one of these things, and give it a proper test hopefully soon. As a whole, golfers are grossly fit for driver shafts so helping to "stabilize" a poorly fit product is not a stretch. But I have doubts that a well fit golfer would see anything close to the claims being bantered about. But we will see.:)

I've spoken to quite a few people on this, most of whom I trust their word and their knowledge. Really...every review has been great. I've had a few test it out on FlightScope and 1 test it out on Trackman.

Here's why it's worth a shot...

1. It's refundable, 30-day guarantee if you don't like it. So there's nothing to lose.

2. It's removable. Supposedly super easy to install and to remove. So, you can put it in a shaft and if you want a different shaft or club, just take it out and put it in that club.

Unfortunately, they were on backorder for install supplies until yesterday. I ordered mine on the 14th and they just shipped it out on the 24th. They don't want to ship inserts to people who haven't bought the install tool. Otherwise, you have to go to a dealer to have them install the tool for you (from what I've read, dealers don't charge for the install).

Mine might be in Monday. I'll report on it then.

3JACK

The claims by Harrison are sketchy. They claim 40% improvement in accuracy, but don't really offer a good explanation of exactly how that's achieved other than a reduction in "side spin". I've offered to do outdoor testing at our fitting facility with a large sampling of skill levels using 3D Dopplar radar, but surprisingly there's been no interest so far. :rolleyes:

I will get one of these things, and give it a proper test hopefully soon. As a whole, golfers are grossly fit for driver shafts so helping to "stabilize" a poorly fit product is not a stretch. But I have doubts that a well fit golfer would see anything close to the claims being bantered about. But we will see.:)

I agree that there was no dispersion data to support their claim. There is dispersion patter shown in mygolfspr review. But I didn't see any quantitative analysis.
However, I like Harrison shafts and probably the only company that provides comparative data on their shafts (eg. Saga).

Somehow, reducing the tip torque without affecting the feel sounds like a very good idea.

SHOW ME THE NUMBERS!

showmethemoney.jpg

Looking for more info, verification, feedback, numbers

I think I'll just jam a tour stick down my shaft!! for $5

hp12c

New
I just saw an incredible review of this insert in myGolfspy.com
MyGolfSpy Labs - Harrison Shotmaker Review!.
Have any of you tried this?
shotmaker golf shaft insert | Harrison

I just watched 2 of the videos and from the looks of this device it doesnt seem possible for it to reach anywhere near where the engineer states the shaft is unstable, I've takens shafts off clubhead, driver,hybrids, irons , from the tip up to a certain lenght is called the paralle tip section, which means the shaft on this end is the same size both interior and exterior dimesnions. On driver shafts .335 and .350 the hole is very small, if the OD diameter is .335 or .350 and depending on the wall thicknes how small would you think the hole inside the shaft is, I would say abouth the size of lead inside a pencil and the device he showed looks much bigger than the exterior size of .335. I couldn't tell from the videos if the end of this device is tapered at the end meaning small on the end and gradually gets bigger as it goes up. Will wait for further testing.

I got mine in the mail today.

It's pretty small and it's light as a feather. I use an air compressor to put grips on. So I didn't put it on thru the grip. By putting it thru the grip, one can remove it and install it at will (as long as they have the install tool). That way they can install it....go on trackman...remove it...go on trackman.

But, I have no plans on that for now.

the install is super easy. Takes about 20 seconds.

I tried it out today. If you take some poor swings, you really won't notice much of a difference.

When I started to get warmed up, I noticed lower launch angle. Spin rate...it looked like it spun slightly less. But the launch angle was noticeably lower.

I went out and played 2 holes (#2 comes backs to the clubhouse). I hit both about 275 yards. But, it rains a ton in Florida in the summer and the fairways were in dire need of being mowed and were soft.

So far, pretty good. Seems to work better on decent or better swings where the face or path or contact might be just off. I'll have to test it out some more.

3JACK

So bad shots are still bad, and good shots are still good - engineering break through!:p

Does it seem worth $150 for what it does?

So bad shots are still bad, and good shots are still good - engineering break through!:p

Does it seem worth $150 for what it does?

I think if bad swings were good...it would be banned by the USGA.

I think the so-so swings and better than so-so swings...are a bit better.

I still have to test it out some more because 30 minutes on the range and 2 holes isn't exactly a big sample size.

Definitely looked to launch the ball lower.

And there's a 30-day money back guarantee. I'm not sure why people ignore that.

3JACK

Just winding you up a bit.:)

I default to Tommy for guarantees on products:

Tommy: Let's think about this for a sec, Ted, why would somebody put a guarantee on a box? Hmmm, very interesting.

Ted Nelson, Customer: Go on, I'm listening.

Tommy: Here's the way I see it, Ted. Guy puts a fancy guarantee on a box 'cause he wants you to fell all warm and toasty inside.

Ted Nelson, Customer: Yeah, makes a man feel good.

Tommy: 'Course it does. Why shouldn't it? Ya figure you put that little box under your pillow at night, the Guarantee Fairy might come by and leave a quarter, am I right, Ted?

Ted Nelson, Customer: But why do they put a guarantee on the box?

Tommy: Because they know all they sold ya was a guaranteed piece of s**t. That's all it is, isn't it? Hey, if you want me to take a dump in a box and mark it guaranteed, I will. I got spare time. But for now, for your customer's sake, for your daughter's sake, ya might wanna think about buying a quality product.

Good Tommy Boy reference.

But, I've worked with product marketing for 13 years. So I know a little about the money back guarantee. Plus, I think I've got a good handle on Harrison as a company, how they've reacted to the downturn in the economy as a company and all.

Generally, if there is a short turnaround in money back guarantee, like 2 weeks or less...generally it's the 'Tommy Boy' line of sale. That doesn't means it's a poor product, but they are trying to catch people with a hook and they figure that if there's a short time frame for the money back guarantee, then most people won't return it in time.

Even though it's not a money back guarantee...that's why I hate rebates. They are made to be a pain in the arse so they can have a hook on selling their product.

But more than 2 weeks typically means that the product is good. That's unless the company has found that the product breaks after a period of use. So I guess that's a possibility, although I doubt the odds are very high.

I think they are using the standard marketing plan a sub-top tier company uses with a product that they truly believe performs well. They don't have the marketing budget nor the brand name that Aldila has. So they have to come up with a convincing hook to get people to purchase the product. And a 30-day money back guarantee is just way too risky unless they were convinced that the product was *that* good.

I used to work for a company that did a similar money back guarantee on a few of their products It was a long, 45-day money back guarantee that was done for 100 days. The reality was that they were trying to spike sales so they could show an increase in revenue, then sell the company.

Well, the products were not bad, but not great enough to sustain a 45-day money back guarantee. They just assumed since they were doing it for 100 days, it wouldn't hurt the company that badly.

They were wrong and it just about crippled the company. That had mass layoffs about a year later and couldn't sell the company for another 4 years. And yes, I felt the brunt of their stupidity/greed.

3JACK

I hit it again yesterday and had a really good day on the range with it. I think it keeps the face stable thru the impact zone. I still want to test it out some more, particularly when I go out and play this weekend. But so far, I'm digging it right now.

3JACK

Status
Not open for further replies.