He can hit it, but can he play? (Quote Peter Allis)

Status
Not open for further replies.
What do you guys think this means?

I played with a guy (Pro) not long ago who hit it really well (drives over 300yds) and could hit all the shots (great bunker shots), but I doubt he could break 80 consistently. I still haven't defined what he lacks. Any ideas about this concept?

I think it relates to course management amongst other things. Stuff like knowing when to leave the driver in the bag, when to punch out back to the fairway, when to go flag hunting.

It's kinda like basketball IMO, there are a TON of guys who can shoot it well in warm ups, there are only a few who can create space to get the shots they want during a game. Lots of guys can run, pass, shoot and dribble. Doesn't make them ballers...Gotta see their game before you decide who can play and who can't.

The course doesn't play any defense on the driving range.

People get lost trying to win the (nonexistent) award for best swing and forget that golf is a game and it must be PLAYED.

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
If he can't break 80 consistently he isn't a very good ballstriker and probably doesn't have a good enough short game / putt well. Just because he "can" do it does he do it 99% of the time? Probably not.

Burner

New
What do you guys think this means?

I played with a guy (Pro) not long ago who hit it really well (drives over 300yds) and could hit all the shots (great bunker shots), but I doubt he could break 80 consistently. I still haven't defined what he lacks. Any ideas about this concept?

To win money (as a Pro is supposed to) you have to be able to post a score; and that requires playing ability above and beyond hitting it really well.

I think it relates to course management amongst other things. Stuff like knowing when to leave the driver in the bag, when to punch out back to the fairway, when to go flag hunting.

It's kinda like basketball IMO, there are a TON of guys who can shoot it well in warm ups, there are only a few who can create space to get the shots they want during a game. Lots of guys can run, pass, shoot and dribble. Doesn't make them ballers...Gotta see their game before you decide who can play and who can't.

The course doesn't play any defense on the driving range.

People get lost trying to win the (nonexistent) award for best swing and forget that golf is a game and it must be PLAYED.

Nice one magic. I like this.

If he can't break 80 consistently he isn't a very good ballstriker and probably doesn't have a good enough short game / putt well. Just because he "can" do it does he do it 99% of the time? Probably not.

Jim, this guy hit it sweet. Tour quality shots, pure as you can get. A bit one dimensional admittedly.

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
Jim, this guy hit it sweet. Tour quality shots, pure as you can get. A bit one dimensional admittedly.

What i'm saying wulsy is how OFTEN is he hitting tour quality shots? If he hits tour quality shots at the tour level of consistency he would ROUTINELY break 80 unless he's like 4 putting every green.

lia41985

Was he talking about Mac O'Grady? They don't give out trophies for hitting it great on the range yet or do they?

Status
Not open for further replies.