Help! - need some Manzella Structure to my short game!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

As I've explained here on the forum before, I'm about 6 months into reworking my swing based on Brian's teachings. I played competitively in high school and college, since then I've had periods of serious play and long periods of NO play. The last time I played regularly in the states I was off 3, but with a timed flip swing that was inconsistent and would have never held up under pressure. I'm now playing in the UK. My handicap was 12 in June and by entering a number of competitions over the summer I got it down to 8 before the winter got here. I think I'm playing much better than that now (shot 70 today with 4 birdies on the front nine), but I don't have any tournament results so who knows.

Thus, thanks to Brian and this forum, I think my long game is in great shape and headed in the right direction. My short game used to be my strength and made up for a lot of problems in my previous swings. Since making Manzella changes over the summer, though, I've become a bit lost in the short game. I learned from a Pro when I was in high school the short game that I used for 20 years, and Brian pretty much sums it up at the beginning of flipper: open stance, strong grip, hands way ahead of the ball, ball on back foot - drop the club down on the ball and flip if you need to get it in the air.

I've 'blown up' that pattern, and from 50-90 yards I can hit nice crisp wedges by playing a shorter version of my normal manzella swing (neutral grip, hands behind ball, etc.). I'm also OK with chips, where I retain part of the old pattern.

But when it comes to 5 to 40 yard pitch shots, I feel like I don't know what I'm doing. How open should my stance be? Where to play the ball? How much pivot? How much wrist cock? What am I trying to do when I hit it, i.e. forward shaft lean, flat left wrist, or what?

Obviously, I'm not asking for answers to all those questions, but I'm looking for some structure in my short game. My course these days is rather muddy around the greens, so I face a lot of short pitches off mud, where hitting it even a hair fat is disaster. Some times I hit it fat, and some times in my attempt to catch the ball first I cut across the ball or hit it thin.

Can someone describe a Manzella approach to the short game, or otherwise help me to stop throwing away shots in the short game????

:):confused:

You might want to check out Over and Out if you haven't already. While it mainly talks about bunker shots, the last section talks about pitches/flops. It's too situational to say one particular thing. I'm all for any new information Brian is willing to share though, I definitely could use more accuracy, who couldn't :). Like to see Brian's new views on chipping and putting too to round out the short game, those aren't in any of the videos (well except chipping in Flipper, but I don't chip like that anymore)

Thanks, Multi. Yep, I've got over and out, and should probably give it another watch, since I bought it specifically for bunker play. I'm sure it would help a bit.

However, as I recall, when it comes to the non-sand shots, Brian hits a lot of shots there out of light rough. But my course doesn't have ANY place on it with grass that long, and my real problem is hitting off of a completely bare and muddy lie. If anyone has specific suggestions for playing just this shot, that would be much appreciated...

Thanks, Multi. Yep, I've got over and out, and should probably give it another watch, since I bought it specifically for bunker play. I'm sure it would help a bit.

However, as I recall, when it comes to the non-sand shots, Brian hits a lot of shots there out of light rough. But my course doesn't have ANY place on it with grass that long, and my real problem is hitting off of a completely bare and muddy lie. If anyone has specific suggestions for playing just this shot, that would be much appreciated...

Bare lies... look at your clubs first ( check bounce - it seems that many wedges have alot of bounce ( either high number of degrees OR deep bounce sole) and are designed for rough or more US style lush fairways)

then think of angle of attack (steep or shallow), ball position etc...

But your bounce angle must match your lie, your angle of attack and ball position...not sure how they should match...still experimenting!

Golfbulldog: you make an excellent point about bounce. I played most of my life on US courses with thick rough and lush fairways and so my instinct is always to go for my 56 degree sand wedge. It has 12 degrees of bounce, which is probably too much for bare lies. I also have a 52 degree gap wedge with 6 degrees of bounce and a 48 degree pitching wedge (Wilson pi5) that probably has even less. It probably makes sense for me to hit my 56 degree much less frequently than my instinct tells me to, now that I'm now playing in very different conditions.

Golfer24: I play at Clyne.

Played Clyne many times some fanatastic holes. Never seen so many sheep and cows on a course. One of my favourite courses in that area.

Played Clyne many times some fanatastic holes. Never seen so many sheep and cows on a course. One of my favourite courses in that area.

Yes, I admit that I don't even notice the sheep any longer, but when I first started playing there this summer it was quite an adjustment! It's a deceptive course: the scorecard doesn't tell the whole story because on the card it appears rather short and straightforward. But, with just a bit of wind there are plenty of par 4s that you can't reach in 2, and if you don't control your ball you'll be in trouble quickly. Great course to work on your game, which is why I joined there (Pennard has breathtaking views, but not quite as good a course to improve your game).

Status
Not open for further replies.