Help with Driver Shafts???

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have some clubs that are in need of repair. I've been playing two driver shafts that I like lately: 1) Aldila NV 75 Stiff; 2) UST V2 65g, Stiff

I want a lower torque, stiffer tip shaft. As far as the two above, go, I like the Aldila more. I was thinking about buying another Aldila (since you can find them online for like $40), but the low price made me wonder if they were inferior quality.

Any other affordable suggestions? Or, is the Aldila a pretty stable and decent quality shaft?

Last edited:
Nothing wrong with the discounted Aldila, it's just an older model.

If you want a twin to the NV 75s (within 2% across it's profile), but with a slightly stiffer tip section at the 11" and 16" sections - the Oban Devotion 6S (M4) is identical through the butt and middle with a slightly stiffer tip.

If you want something identical to the NV 75s, try the Fuji Motore Speeder VC 6.2 X, Fuji Rombax 6W06 S, and the Fuji Rombax 6X07 X.

Has anyone been fitted for the oban devotion 6 shaft or happen to play it. I was hitting it today during a demo day on the range and it was MUCH better than the all the other shafts he had on hand. Flightscope numbers were also much better with it... Do a lot of players get fit with a low launch/ low spin shaft and more than normal loft?

Nike rep also said a few other things I thought were interesting.

Tiger is playing an 87 gram shaft with 11.25 degrees of loft and the spinniest ball they make. He said the shaft was the heaviest on tour and that brings the flight down to balance out all that loft. He said other pros have tried to use tigers ball and they generally lose 10-20 yards with every club in the bag. I found this interesting because I know Kevin (I think) said that Tiger was hitting it very low with his irons at the Masters this year. Not sure what to make of it...

I play the Devo 7. If it's a good match for your swing, it's a well made smooth feeling shaft.

Besides the obvious ingredient of swing speed, launch angle will be your biggest determinant of distance. As a general rule, I like to find the right loft first, then tweak with the shaft.

The Nunchuck shafts are 104 grams. 87 is higher than most, but not nearly the heaviest used on Tour.

Smooth is exactly how I would describe it as well.

I didn't think that would be the heaviest on tour. Why does Tiger want to play with blades and balata like balls? Is it because that is what he grew up playing? I see what Phil was saying, he is playing inferior (less forgiving) equipment (by choice). Does anyone really think Y.E. Yang would've won using all blades instead of four hybrids. He adapted his bag to survive out there. Maybe since Tiger hasn't had to adapt, because he knows he can win when his game is on, he feels he doesn't need to adapt to survive. He should though, because 20 years from now nobody is going to care how difficult he made the game on himself by trying to play out of dariusz's bag of yesteryear.

I'll throw another plug in for the Aldila NV. I have it in my 3 wood and would definitely use it in the driver.

I want a lower torque, stiffer tip shaft.

Nothing wrong with MrGranato's answer but maybe the question should not have an answer but needs other question.....why do you think you need less torque and more stiffer tip shaft? What do you think it will solve for you?

Status
Not open for further replies.