Hey Michael: a few questions re: Offset Angle & the Table Top

Status
Not open for further replies.
MJ,

In watching your last few Explosive Golf Show episodes, the idea of the Offset Angle really helped me understand something that (at least I think) I was doing right on the range the other day. On my good shots, I felt an effortless squaring of the clubface without roll, leading up to a finish that was much more 90 degrees across the neck, as opposed to a rolled, club pointing to the right of the target finish, a la NSA.

Once I watched your Hands Below Office tip, this feeling started to make sense, especially when I experimented more with the idea in the house. While I haven't gotten to take it back to the range yet, it seems like one of the important missing pieces that I didn't understand when first trying to incorporate the new "Release" ideas. It really makes a non-rolled, bend back of the lead wrist a lot easier, and seems to take away the risk of flipping at the ball.

However, I have a few questions: 1)Is there a "tipping point" where trying for offset angle becomes counter-productive, or where it leads to a risk of hooks? 2) Should someone strive for more or less offset as the clubs get longer?

Also, in thinking about offset angle and looking at PGA Tour swings, would Sergio and Adam Scott be particularly good examples of offset angles at impact? On the contrary, while I don't yet know what to look for, when I looked at some slow-motion videos of Luke Donald (especially with his driver), he didn't seem to have as severe of an offset angle. Might this be why he has had some trouble with the driver in the past? Or, am I just way off base and ignorant as to what to look for?

Status
Not open for further replies.