High Tee Shots....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, my handicap is dropping like the stock market a few months ago so I can't complain...oh, wait, yes I can!

I have always hit my driver high but lately I am losing a lot of distance. I'm losing about 20 yards. I can't get the trajectory down.

I am hitting a Callway FT5 Tour with the stiff Fuji 360 shaft.

I have tried everything from lowering the tee height to moving the ball position and really focusing on getting as flat as possible. I do not pop up shots.

Any thoughts?

Flipping it or too steep.

Does your ball "rise" to its apex? Or does it look like it's going in a straight line to its apex?

If it's rising or "ballooning" to its apex, then you're likely too steep and putting too much backspin on the ball at impact.

I have got a lot from SD, NHA and NSA. But then have a look at BM Show #8. View, view and view again. It's a lot about the pivot and how it differs between irons and wood.

Flipping it or too steep.

Does your ball "rise" to its apex? Or does it look like it's going in a straight line to its apex?

If it's rising or "ballooning" to its apex, then you're likely too steep and putting too much backspin on the ball at impact.

Definitely a lot of ballooning. But the angle off the club face starts out high

yeah, the Utube video 8 always helps but...I am hitting it pretty well as far as accuracy. I'd like to get a lower flight

May I inquire what your driver specs are (kick pt, loft)? You could be swinging better but may need equipment changed / tweek if your not flipping.

Good luck.

9.5 ft 5 Tour....

May I inquire what your driver specs are (kick pt, loft)? You could be swinging better but may need equipment changed / tweek if your not flipping.

Good luck.

Fujikura Fit-on 360...mid kick I think..

I suspected I may have let a flip..flop back in. I focused so hard on non flipping Sunday, I don't think I was.

Sorry Jim, I answered you before in Bill-speak...

You didn't answer my question

Have you previously hit this same combo 20 yards longer? It is "just now" you are hitting it shorter?

Yes, same Combo.

I wouldn't say just now....I've noticed it developing over a period of time...say the last 45-60 days.

With the skycaddie....I was previously around the 250 mark with some occasional 265-270. Now, I am avg. 230

Last edited:
There are a couple of other variables we need to know to figure this one out:

Namely:

Have you changed your ball lately? What ball? (If you changed from a pinnacle rock to a prov1 you may see exhibited behaviour for example)

What type of fairways do you play on? (I's rainy season here in Thailand right now. My drives get negative roll - even with quite a low ball flight; due to the quagmire they call fairways) If fairways are hard low ball flight might make a drive with less carry go further.

You still didn't share the loft of your driver (most important feature to affect ball flight)

Let's figure this out!

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
Yes, same Combo.

I wouldn't say just now....I've noticed it developing over a period of time...say the last 45-60 days.

With the skycaddie....I was previously around the 250 mark with some occasional 265-270. Now, I am avg. 230

Besides too high a ball flight; which way is it going?

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
With the common miss being a push. Occasionally, I get a push slice that goes slightly right for 3/4 flight and goes hard right. But that is not the common miss.

Ok, now we are getting somewhere.

IMO you are hanging back on your downswing OR are simply leaning too right on the backswing with too much weight (maybe a small sway). What this does is it helps promote an in/out path but also you lose trigger delay (and possibly speed) because you have to release earlier to still hit the ball and it also creates a lot more axis tilt which will add more launch at impact. The push and push slices is also telling me that all this tilt is probably keeping the face open too.

What i would do is try to a lot of intentional pulls with the driver with very little weight shift to the right. Once you hit a lot of solid pulls and possibly some pull draws; then slowly start adding the lean to the right back in so you can swing a bit in/out but not as much as before.

Hope that helps

Status
Not open for further replies.