Hogan's swing advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:Originally posted by scripkilla

I'm confused about something in this Hogan letter. How can you only see 1 knuckle of your left hand at the top of the backswing? Am I misinterpreting something here?

Weak grip, no Startup Swivel I'd say.

EdZ

New
I don't buy the first bit on the grip came from Hogan:
-----------
First the club must be gripped (lightly) correctly the left hand should be in such a position that the V formed by the thumb and index finger points to the right shoulder. The right hand grips the club so that the V formed by the thumb and index finger also point to the RT shoulder. The small finger of the RT hand overlaps between the small finger of the left hand.
---------

Hogan was so detailed about the grip in 5 Lessons - for good reason. Gripping the club EXACTLY as he described, sets up the rest of his moves.

The key is that almost nobody grips the club correctly in the left hand as he describes, under the heel pad with 'support' because to most this feels too restricted. Too 'diagonal', and too limiting of the wrist cock. In reality, this sets up the left wedge and keeps it.

This is why he loved thin, tapered grips. You can't have large grips and really get the club under the heel pad properly if you have average size hands.

The second part of this is that when you grip the club in the left hand properly, it will tend to setup closed - which is why he had his grips turned 'open'.

Nick Price seems to me to have gotten it right, per Hogan's detail.

Can anyone with a camera who can upload easily demonstrate what EdZ is saying by laying their left wrist hand open, palm up, and draw a line with a marker depicting how the grip would lay across Hogan's hand v. Manzella neutral v. standard Leadbetter. EdZ hit the nail on the head with me when he said 'too diagonal', but I just thought I was doing Hogan's grip wrong. Thanks.

EdZ

New
quote:Originally posted by Archie Swivel

Can anyone with a camera who can upload easily demonstrate what EdZ is saying by laying their left wrist hand open, palm up, and draw a line with a marker depicting how the grip would lay across Hogan's hand v. Manzella neutral v. standard Leadbetter. EdZ hit the nail on the head with me when he said 'too diagonal', but I just thought I was doing Hogan's grip wrong. Thanks.

The best picture for Hogan is from his book, page 22 and 23. You can see by the alignment of the second knuckles on page 23 that the club is in a more 'diagonal' position, and that the thumb is 'under' the shaft. You will feel the muscles that run directly along the underside of the forearm providing support.

quote:Originally posted by EdZ

quote:Originally posted by Archie Swivel

The best picture for Hogan is from his book, page 22 and 23. You can see by the alignment of the second knuckles on page 23 that the club is in a more 'diagonal' position, and that the thumb is 'under' the shaft. You will feel the muscles that run directly along the underside of the forearm providing support.

EdZ, I feel powerless with my left hand grip like that. Normal?

Status
Not open for further replies.