Holding shoulder or back to target

Status
Not open for further replies.
This one swing thought seems to be helping me very much and I am hitting the ball longer. I hope this one thought stays with me all year and I only hope I am doing it right. I have questions about timing issues but I don't want to much to think about.

Last edited:

Dariusz J.

This one swing thought seems to be helping me very much and I am hitting the ball longer. I hope this one thought stays with me all year and I only hope I am doing it right. I have questions about timing issues but I don't want to much to think about.

It is very in line with sequentiality from the motion from the ground up (shoulders start downswing the latest speaking in simple terms).
If you rely on theory of limitations in joints' RoM this will happen without any single necessity of conscious thought appearance -- just as you want and -- what is even more important, it is NOT AGAINST subconscious mind.

Cheers

S

SteveT

Think about this: When you delay your shoulder rotation do you feel your heels digging in more in the downswing?

Scientifically, you should feel some changes underfoot if you are generating more power to hit the ball longer.

It's not a complicated "think" and shouldn't derail your timing. Give it a thought and tell us what you "feeel", seriously.

The way keeping the back to the target a little longer helps me is by allowing for a proper hand path to be established in the downswing before it can be adversely influenced by the body pivot. If I think of swinging from the ground up, I get out of sequence with the pivot dictating a poor hand path which leads to club face issues.

Last edited:
Think about this: When you delay your shoulder rotation do you feel your heels digging in more in the downswing?

Scientifically, you should feel some changes underfoot if you are generating more power to hit the ball longer.

It's not a complicated "think" and shouldn't derail your timing. Give it a thought and tell us what you "feeel", seriously.

Sounds like SteveT is setting you up with a trick question to try and disrupt your new swing feel that is striking the ball pure and letting you enjoy the game.. DONT ANSWER IT!

S

SteveT

jerry .... I asked you about what changes you may now feel underfoot with your more powerful swing, based on a scientific study of Ground Reaction Forces (GRFs), that came to the conclusion that:

"...The center of pressure migration patterns for the better players are further towards the heel and medial edge of both shoes; appears to relate to stability and performance."

The study was:

The Biomechanics of the Shoe-Ground Interaction in Golf -- G. Koenig, M. Tamares and R.W. Mann
Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge. MA.

I didn't want to complicate and confuse things with too much scientific stuff, so I just asked you what you felt underfoot, and if your heels dug in more for more power. Of course, forum knuckleheads jump in and make fools of themselves with their anti-science mentality.... so ignore them. ;)

Of course, forum knuckleheads jump in and make fools of themselves with their anti-science mentality.... so ignore them. ;)

I'm guessing by your use of the plural "fools" that you are lumping me into having an "anti-science mentality" since I posted about not consciously thinking about using the ground reaction forces.

From the many posts you have made on the topic, I'm pretty sure that you understand "feels" and "intent" are imperfect in the human machine. I hope you may also understand that we cannot discount the movements of the upper body that have an influence on how the feet use ground reaction forces and what parts of the feet are affected by those movements.

ZAP

New
When I try to think about delaying my turn forward I certainly feel more "in the ground" and less on "top of the ground". When I get it right the ball certainly lets me know and I gain about a club in terms of distance with my irons. And it feels very freewheeling down by the ball.

When I try to think about delaying my turn forward I certainly feel more "in the ground" and less on "top of the ground". When I get it right the ball certainly lets me know and I gain about a club in terms of distance with my irons. And it feels very freewheeling down by the ball.

What do you feel your arms/hands are doing while your turn forward is delayed?

I think what happens to me when thinking about "using the ground more" is that I try to use the body to move the arms/hands/club. But, if I think about using the hands and arms to move the club and use the lower body and ground to support those movements, I hit the ball much better--and as you say feels very freewheeling with increases in distance with seemingly less effort.

ZAP

New
I feel like my hands/arms are moving straight dow in front of my chest which is still turned. Funny but it looks absolutely nothing like what it feels like. Which before my time reading here and taking lessons from a couple of people here would have totally confused me.

Back to target is a great thought for many many golfers.

Yes, I agree. For me it was the missing link when trying to find what is controlling face angle. It also helped me this weekend to understand my troubles with the driver. Together with "turning more" these two changed my TM values into something I'm starting to like :D

S

SteveT

Delaying shoulder rotation also means advanced hip rotation... which equates to additional X-factor stretch ... which also equates to a greater alpha torque plus a better synchronized beta and gamma torques.

It's called "The Slot"... in the vernacular.

The non-planar characteristics of the hand path, covert some of alpha torque into the required beta and gamma torques.

I find concentrating on the out toss is the same thing as keeping your back to the target. If you're moving your hands away from the target, you keep your back turned.

Intending to keep my back to the target never worked for me. What does work is a full shoulder turn then a slight counterfall into the left leg. This results in a slight carry. Almost simultaneously the hands start dropping in tight (no popout). From here shoulder, hands and arms apply as much torque as I have. The carry moves the low point forward and I don't have to worry about a chunk. No yips!

Pete J

Banned
Intending to keep my back to the target never worked for me. What does work is a full shoulder turn then a slight counterfall into the left leg. This results in a slight carry. Almost simultaneously the hands start dropping in tight (no popout). From here shoulder, hands and arms apply as much torque as I have. The carry moves the low point forward and I don't have to worry about a chunk. No yips!

How do you define "carry"?

I love the explanations I read on this one lol.

Personally I just think it helps folks delay pulling the club the wrong way (over top) right in beginning-lol before the swing has even begun!

Pulling right away is what hackers do...In golf we must take our time-whats the hurry? Also don't strain yourself lol

A swing is a fun thing it shouldn't be tiring drudgery. The club should be more like a scalpel than an axe if you ask me.

Anyhow alpha beta gamma torques and all the rest...I don't know much but I know if you keep your back to the target it tends to help a guy who pulls over the topn and slices.

I like simple things...

I love the explanations I read on this one lol.

Personally I just think it helps folks delay pulling the club the wrong way (over top) right in beginning-lol before the swing has even begun!

Pulling right away is what hackers do...In golf we must take our time-whats the hurry? Also don't strain yourself lol

A swing is a fun thing it shouldn't be tiring drudgery. The club should be more like a scalpel than an axe if you ask me.

Anyhow alpha beta gamma torques and all the rest...I don't know much but I know if you keep your back to the target it tends to help a guy who pulls over the topn and slices.

I like simple things...

Glad to give you some entertainment. I struggled with "that's what hackers do" for about 10 years thinking I was getting good information. IMO you are one of the lucky ones to have learned or were taught that way. Unfortunately, I and many others were told to "swing the club with your body pivot" and "swing from the ground up" and "the legs power the swing" and "maximum x-factor stretch creates more power". Even though these may be true at some point in the golf swing, they all neglect when to use it and how they fit with sequencing the arms and hands.

S
please don't take my post the wrong way
I am a self taught hacker took me a long long time to realize certain things
This is a tough game sometimes we all take our lumps

Status
Not open for further replies.