Hooker/Puller no more?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I have been fighting pulling/hooking for a couple of years. Swore to quit the game a few times and at the time I meant it. Brian and "Never Hook Again" have helped a lot, but the old tendencies don't die easily do they? I noticed something the last couple of days that I believe will really help and it is so simple and basic that it is almost embarassing. When you shift your weight to the left for your downswing, (right handed),your weight needs to go to your left heel. Brian and others, can this small detail make as big a difference in the swing as it seems to have made for me the last couple of days?

Jim S.

Jared Willerson

Super Moderator
Something HAS to go left, the weight to the heel of your left foot instead your right shoulder is fundamentally correct. If the right shoulder goes left then the right shoulder has gone "out" instead of "down" and you are hitting pulls

You are right, it is very important to get the weight to the left heel.

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
I never fully got rid of the pulls until i fixed one thing that i didn't notice i was doing until i saw it on video.

I was losing my axis tilt THROUGH the ball. I kept it initially on the downswing and everything looked great but then i let the upper body come out of it.

Thanks for your replies gl and jim. I knew I was shifting my weight I just didn't realize I was doing it incorrectly. Jim, after reading your reply and just grabbing a club and making a few practice swings, it seems normal to have to come out of my axis tilt when my weight is towards the ball of my left foot. When my weight goes to the heel I can keep my axis tilt throughout the swing. Did you notice the same concerning losing your axis tilt and where on your left foot you transfered your weight?

Jim S.

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
I honestly don't pay attention to where my weight is. I have simply learned how to keep my head still (after i've made my backswing) and bring my right shoulder downplane until and almost follow through and then you slowly come out of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.