How do you fade it(ala Nicklaus) from Soft Draw pattern?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brian made several references to Nicklaus having a soft draw pattern but chose to play the fade. I am feeling fairly comfortable with the pattern and want to be able to hit a fade if needed. What modifications should be made to hit a fade?

Except

Nicklaus did not weaken his grip. He opened the clubface a tad and aligned slightly left to make up for that. He swung along his foot-shoulder alignment with that open clubface to get a fade. He reversed that for a draw. See Golf My Way (book and first video).

Channelback

Nicklaus did not weaken his grip. He opened the clubface a tad and aligned slightly left to make up for that. He swung along his foot-shoulder alignment with that open clubface to get a fade. He reversed that for a draw. See Golf My Way (book and first video).

Channelback

I think you misunderstood me. I was referring to how Nicklaus hit a fade with a "soft draw-type" swing, not how he personally adjusted when he wanted to work the ball.
If you take the SD pattern, weaken the grip, and move everything slightly left, you essentially have Jack's swing. So, if someone is hitting a draw with SD and wanted to hit a fade, that is one way to do it.

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
you have to fade it from the inside or you'll hit an ugly scoopy high shot that won't go anywhere

totally incorrect, too busy at work to explain and also...if you hit a fade "from the inside" you are going to hit a push fade that goes right of your target. So you better be like freddie and aim 30 yards left to push fade it to the target.

totally incorrect, too busy at work to explain and also...if you hit a fade "from the inside" you are going to hit a push fade that goes right of your target. So you better be like freddie and aim 30 yards left to push fade it to the target.

I agree Jim..proved it last night when I did not allow for the push part...ball faded just fine but initial line was about 20 yards right.

exactly jim. fading from the inside should be impossible. if it is fading, the clubface is more open than the path and so will keep fading from the take off line which is already to the right. so, when you adjust and aim left you are no longer hitting from the inside relative to the target line. but, you then don't have the SD Pattern setup so it's not SD. SD is as it's name suggests Soft Draw not Soft Draw With A Little Fade Where Needed. That's just too long a title. Would be a great seller though.

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
the easiest way to fade it from this pattern is to modify the end of hte backswing to point more down the line and also instead of aiming everything 1 yard right, aim everything 1 yard left.

This should produce a nice little fade.

the easiest way to fade it from this pattern is to modify the end of hte backswing to point more down the line and also instead of aiming everything 1 yard right, aim everything 1 yard left.

This should produce a nice little fade.

Is this basically what the soft fade pattern is?

I'm looking forward to it. I've noticed that, for me, fades don't seem to move as much as draws. I was just never able to consistently able to get them to start left of the target until Brian gave me that shoe drill. I've been trying to hit a fade full time in the last month, and as long as I can turn it over when I want to (for the sake of yardage), I'll probably stay there. I finally get why people talk about eliminating the left side, and It's showing in my scores.

Status
Not open for further replies.