How do you get the club to "drop" at Transition???

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am way way too step at the top of my backswing and accordingly steep during transition and through impact.....How in the world do you get "flatter" during transition????

Do you "feel" as though you "loop" the backswing into the forward swing, thereby creating a flatter forward swing?

Hands and arms go back in up, shoulders go back (around). what, how can I get flatter?

EdZ

New
Do some drills imagining you are going to throw the club down the fairway, and actually look down the fairway as you do this. Step, throw.

did you think about where your arms and hands went?

The less you 'try' to do things, and the more you 'allow', the better.

You may want to drill some with a broom held about halfway down. It will help show you that there isn't as much lift of the arms as you are currently doing, and get the arms and body working properly through hip to hip.

EdZ

New
A helpful thought for some can be -

stop, drop, and roll

stop - slight pause at the top
drop - let your arms fall
roll - roll the forearms as hard as you can

Very good at getting some folks on track to the right feels. The roll will lessen once you 'get it'.

I'd like to know how to get it to drop, I feel like the instant my club starts down I am racing to the ball. Any recommendations?

matt

New
It's funny, because I'm just the opposite. My hands 'drop' a couple inches at startdown and that usually gets me underplane.

try to hit the inside aft quadrant of the ball like your hitting it to right field instead of trying to hit the back of the ball

Set a club down at your feet aimed about 25 degrees to the right of your target. Set yourself up square to the target. This angled club is a visual reference of what an INSIDE path is. On the forward swing, be sure that your hands are not moving outside of the club on the ground... they should stay inside of the shaft. You will see that the only way to accomplish this is by moving your hands in front of your right shoulder, and not behind it. If your hands get behind your right shoulder, your elbow and your right hip will collide making it impossible to approach from the inside.

EdZ

New
One of the single biggest things people often overlook is that the motion is a SWING of the club. If you 'get' all of TGM, but forget about 'swing', you'll still struggle IMO. It is what rhythm is really all about.

Before you can try 'adding' any power, you 'must' first feel a true 'swinging' motion of the entire club. Full motion, half distance shots - hit your 170 club 100 yards with a full smooooooth and HEAVY motion, letting the 'swing' be your guide.

That is what the stop, drop and roll is about. Letting the swinging club change directions, and fall, adding smooooth rotation (or keeping smooooth counter rotation).

Once you get the feel, you can 'add' support and power. Gravity is really the place to start - feel the 'drop', don't 'do' the drop.

EdZ

New
They don't call it 'float' loading for nothing... let your hands 'float' in space at the top, LET them fall and turn on the power

Remember that you can't have an inside impact with an open face. Read Brian's "Never Slice Again" article.
Learn to make divot's to the right.
EVERY THING RESPONDS TO THE FACE.

ej20

New
quote:Originally posted by 300Drive

I am way way too step at the top of my backswing and accordingly steep during transition and through impact.....How in the world do you get "flatter" during transition????

Do you "feel" as though you "loop" the backswing into the forward swing, thereby creating a flatter forward swing?

Hands and arms go back in up, shoulders go back (around). what, how can I get flatter?
Faldo said he felt a definite inside loop in the transition but that it didn't show up that much on video.How much you loop depends on how upright or flat your backswing is,but loop you must.Some do it at the top in the transition.TGM prefers no loop from the top but rather re-route by attempting to hit the inside quadrant of the ball,which results in a delayed loop and a steeper downward blow.

There can definitly be a slight loop, you can practice by making a huge loop (Duunigan) and when you play there will be only a small one. There are alot of good players that make a slight over the top move and hit the pull fade (RETIEF , IRWIN, STADLER, sometimes ERNIE) this can be affective but hard to master, there are many ways to play good golf, TIM

I thought Ringer made a good point a few posts back, concerning right elbow/hip collisions. I have seen a few guys actually get the right elbow behind the right hip on the downswing, and still be able to play...Furyk, for example, but for most it probably causes problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.