how do you keep the head from staying down too long?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If anyone has had some success in getting rid of this move, I'd appreciate some help. I know I'm keep the head down too long, but can't seem to correct it. Is it connected to getting onto the front leg (or maybe getting almost completely off the trail leg) too soon? It seems like a sequencing problem, but I'm not sure where to start on the fix.

Untitled on Vimeo

Thanks, Chris

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
Id start by trying to get more leg turn. Your lower body IMO is definitely running away and the hit is mistimed so much that your head lowers as a result. Call it stall, whatever, but I agree it's a sequencing problem.

Kevin,

Thanks for the quick reply. I'm not sure I understand what you mean by leg turn. Hip turn? And more in the back swing or downswing. I think you mentioned a couple weeks back that you had a student swing from the start with her front foot up on the toe. I've been working on this and it seems to help. Is that because it keeps the lower body back longer?

Chris

Interesting swing. Whats the ball flight? You look to have a really strong grip/closed face at address and then fan it open on the back swing. It looks to me like you have some hip rotation going back. I do see the stall and lots of swivel through impact, I wonder if its a face issue trying to square it up?

Do you hit blocks and hooks?

Interesting swing. Whats the ball flight? You look to have a really strong grip/closed face at address and then fan it open on the back swing. It looks to me like you have some hip rotation going back. I do see the stall and lots of swivel through impact, I wonder if its a face issue trying to square it up?

Do you hit blocks and hooks?

When I'm hitting it well, a high fade of the tee, much lower with the irons. My miss is usually a push or a low hook. But I do catch a few short irons thin.

I'm surprised nothing has been said about your setup position. Head position can have a big influence. Seems to me that your backward rotated head contributes to your problem.

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
Keeping the head down too long seems to work pretty well for Corey Pavin. I wouldn't worry about it.

That's a little different. Pavins head doesn't dive down after the arms catch up and pass his stalled pivot.

Soft consult, you would certainly try to do something different with the setup eventually IMO.

He didn't mention head diving, just his head being down too long. I just gave an example of how Pavin is at the extreme end of keeping his head down "too long" and it works for him. If his real problem is his head diving down then that just reinforces the notion that perception and reality are two separate things in the golf swing.

What you think you're doing wrong, probably isn't what you think it is.

He didn't mention head diving, just his head being down too long. I just gave an example of how Pavin is at the extreme end of keeping his head down "too long" and it works for him. If his real problem is his head diving down then that just reinforces the notion that perception and reality are two separate things in the golf swing.

What you think you're doing wrong, probably isn't what you think it is.

Kevin's right. It's the dive move after impact from the hands catching up that's the killer, not so much just keeping the head down.

I usually don't put the head so far back and tilted. But I thought it might help. Matt's right about the big motion fanning open on the back swing.

Might the last moment effort to close the face so much and so quickly at impact and throw the club over to the right cause the head to be pulled down?

Last edited:

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
Kevin's right. It's the dive move after impact from the hands catching up that's the killer, not so much just keeping the head down.

I usually don't put the head so far back and tilted. But I thought it might help. Jeff's right about the big motion fanning open on the back
Might the last moment effort to close the face so much and so quickly at impact and throw the club over to the right cause the head to be pulled down?

No way to be 100% sure but I'd say yes

do you have a full speed video?
seems as if you chase the ball with the clubhead, can't tell if that is part of the intent to save it...
the sequence is getting disconnected somewhere IMO. If delivery of path and face were good you should be standing up on the shot if anything, not contorting the body so that you can re-align the face or redirect the path by saving it with the hands. your front leg does straighten with some jump to it but it seems like you initiate this leg work too early and instead of it affecting the shot the way it should, it's leaving you without a proper foundation to let you keep pouring it on. all things considered it's a pretty good swing with a lot of good moves in there.

try jumping a bit later....

do you have a full speed video?
seems as if you chase the ball with the clubhead, can't tell if that is part of the intent to save it...
the sequence is getting disconnected somewhere IMO. If delivery of path and face were good you should be standing up on the shot if anything, not contorting the body so that you can re-align the face or redirect the path by saving it with the hands. your front leg does straighten with some jump to it but it seems like you initiate this leg work too early and instead of it affecting the shot the way it should, it's leaving you without a proper foundation to let you keep pouring it on. all things considered it's a pretty good swing with a lot of good moves in there.

try jumping a bit later....

Here's a full speed dtl 9 iron: Untitled on Vimeo

Same thing slow mo: Untitled on Vimeo

Status
Not open for further replies.