How many Of you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sup guys ! Just curious how many of yall play the back tees and calculate your handicap from there.

I thought i was a 10 handicap and have been playing my best yet recently.. Have been breaking 80 about a quarter of the time.. But i always play the middles tees which are 6400 yards..

Anyways i played with few guys today who wanted to play the back tees and it was a different game to me for sure..
My course is 7200 from the back and i was hitting driver then 3 wood on a few par 4's :( There is no way i could enjoy the game from the back. Shot 93

So how many of you actually play the back tees when on your home course or playing a new course?

The rule of thumb that I think sounds reasonable is not move back until you can shoot par from the current tees. That's what my teacher told me to do. If I'm playing a more serious round to me, I'll play the appropriate tees.

Now for when I'm just out there screwing around...most of the time I'll just play back on random holes if I can't pull driver out as much as I want to in the round. I played a course a while back where I was hitting 5 and 7 irons off the tee on lots of the par 4s because I knew the hole "asked" for them. Got boring pretty quick. That's why I like my home course. Driver is always an option, and the risk is worth the reward if you pull it off.

sometimes back tees are easier for some, depending on what your favorite irons are.

Couple of my friends who likes to black tee more because they are really long anyways.

I mean if you are hitting your 7 iron 180-190....you probably will want to play black tee.

Maybe you are just not use to it yet, play couple of rounds and see what happens.

If you don't enjoy it, just go back to blue tees, the most important part is to have fun right?

Last edited:
Distance trumps handicaps in most cases for most golfers. I'm a 10 capper (USGA). I'm an 11 at my home course (10 x slope of 122 = 1220 / 113 = 10.7) which I play the 6018 yard tees. If I were to play off the back tees at my course (7138 yards) in a match using the USGA's calculation (handicap times slope divided by 113) I would only be a 12 handicap (10 x slope of 131 = 1310 / 113 = 11.5). There is no way I could play to a 12 handicap off 7138 yards. It would be way too long for me.

There's a good rule of thumb that seems to work for everyone when deciding which tees are appropriate for your game (distance wise). Take the distance you hit your 5 iron or 27* club and multiply it by 36. So I hit my 5 hybrid (27*) ~ 165-170. So I should play a tee that is roughly 5940 - 6120 yards. So 6018 is about right for my game (distance wise). My driver swingspeed is in the low 90's.

Golfers typically play from too far back. This is what the Tee it Forward promotion was all about. I bet most golfers don't realize to qualify to be a scratch player (in addition to score) you must be able to average 250 yards off the tee and reach a 470 yard par 4 in two shots.

Most golfers that play don't have the swingspeed to do that. Yet too many golfers play from too far back for their game. They had to take the back tees out of play at my course except for qualifying (USGA and PGA) Tournaments because too many golfers played from there that didn't belong. It slows down play significantly.

Last edited:
I thought the new rule of thumb was that the color of your driver determines the color of tee you should be playing.

mgranato- What does that say for Bubba Watson?

I agree with Keefer. The PGA's Tee It Forward program is an interesting solution to overly long and overly difficult golf courses. The only trouble with it is that golfers, in general, have a huge misconception on how far they actually hit it. Unfortunately the whole, "I can hit it about 290 on average" guys make it difficult. I think it would increase enjoyment of the game for most players, and maybe more importantly, improve the general pace of play at facilities around the country. Just my $.02.

I prefer the back tees other wise the courses are too short, it is no fun after awhile hitting driver and then half wedge shots all day. If I am playing with another guy/group I will let them select the tee, I don't like playing a different tee then the group it kinda breaks up the camaraderie of the day. With that being said, you paid for your round of golf select the tee that you enjoy playing from as long as it doesn't slow play down.

I completely agree with the notion that most people play way too far back, and I support the idea of moving people up. I'm sshocked at the number of people I see playing further back who can't break 100.

That said, I don't think you need to shoot even par on your current tees before you move back. In my opinion, if you can break 80 on a set of tees, you have every right playing those tees. And if you CAN break 80 from the back tees, then it can be good for your game to play them. But it's also good for your game to move up and play the shortest tees and see how low you can go.

I always wonder if I might have become a better player if I hadn't immediately started playing in competition on hard courses from back tees. (I didn't play before high school, but then immediatley started playing high school golf.) I never got comfortable shooting really low numbers, as I was immediatley playing courses where something in the mid too high 70s was a very good score for me (and for my contribution to the team). I've broken 80 on some tough courses (I'm most proud of a competitive round at Torrey Pines south, where I shot 79 from the tips). But I've never broken par in competition, even on easy courses.

I thought the new rule of thumb was that the color of your driver determines the color of tee you should be playing.

I'd have to pull the old I-15 driver out of the garage before playing golf with you. Or claim I broke my old driver and have a Taylormade replacement from the clubhouse for the round.

My handicap goes down when I play back tees because my wedge/half-wedges are by far worst part of my game (improving though!). But I am talking 7100 back tees not PGA Tour distance.

Last edited:
The only thing I do from the back tees is suffer a blood pressure spike as I realize in just 50 more yards I'll have to hit my tee shot.;)

Butch Harmon is always asked how they can get an extra 20 yards on their tee shot. He says he can guarantee every golfer an extra 20 yards or so on every tee shot. Move up to the next tee box.

Distance trumps handicaps in most cases for most golfers. I'm a 10 capper (USGA). I'm an 11 at my home course (10 x slope of 122 = 1220 / 113 = 10.7) which I play the 6018 yard tees. If I were to play off the back tees at my course (7138 yards) in a match using the USGA's calculation (handicap times slope divided by 113) I would only be a 12 handicap (10 x slope of 131 = 1310 / 113 = 11.5). There is no way I could play to a 12 handicap off 7138 yards. It would be way too long for me.

Keefer, you are only moving up one stroke to a 12 because that is how many strokes you would need against a golfer shooting the course RATING for those sets of tees. The handicap you are getting is in DIRECT RELATIONSHIP to the different course rating depending on the set of tees.

Ex. course rating white tees = 69
course rating gold tees = 74

your handicap is 0 from both. You can keep your zero index by shooting 69's on the white tees or by shooting 74's on the gold tees. A five stroke difference. If golfers are playing different sets of tee's you have to take each golfers handicap for those tee's and adjust those not playing the same tees as everyone else by the difference in the course rating from each set of tees. 74-69=5. By moving back to the gold you get your gold tee handicap + the difference of the ratings. Unless everyone goes back to the gold, then you all just use your gold tee handicaps. Everyone saying tee it forward but not many people have a clue as to how to adjust the handicaps.

Last edited:
Take two courses on the Open roster - Troon and St Andrews. Their members will play between 6600 and 6750 in competitions. Casual games will play 6200 - 6400. Yards, not metres. Championship tees of course stretch things out in excess of 7000 - but those tees are not in play, except in championships.

I mean, play the tees you enjoy, so long as you're not holding up play. But I just question why anyone would feel they ought to play more than 6700 unless they're already hitting 2 out of every 3 greens or breaking par.

joep

New
In connecticut in tournaments if you are I think 55 and older you play from the whites and under play from the blue and also I think,under 10 handicap blues under white...or something close to what I said.. Our course is 6200 yrds,,par 72 slope 120 71.9 rating

5 or 6 years ago i could play to handicap on 6800-7000 yard course. Not now though. My course is only 6300 yards off back tees and struggle hitting some par 4's in regulation. Part of that is due to weather as we always get a good breeze there but main reason is my pathetic ballstriking and considerable loss of distance i have suffered

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
Take two courses on the Open roster - Troon and St Andrews. Their members will play between 6600 and 6750 in competitions. Casual games will play 6200 - 6400. Yards, not metres. Championship tees of course stretch things out in excess of 7000 - but those tees are not in play, except in championships.

I mean, play the tees you enjoy, so long as you're not holding up play. But I just question why anyone would feel they ought to play more than 6700 unless they're already hitting 2 out of every 3 greens or breaking par.

In regards to the bold, i think that is the dumbest thing about club championships. You play and practice at "X" tell all year long and then not only do they make the course more difficult they stretch it out and screw up all your distances and familiarity with the course. I just think it's too much.

My personal pet peeve.

Status
Not open for further replies.