How many Of you

Status
Not open for further replies.
In regards to the bold, i think that is the dumbest thing about club championships. You play and practice at "X" tell all year long and then not only do they make the course more difficult they stretch it out and screw up all your distances and familiarity with the course. I just think it's too much.

My personal pet peeve.

I agree Jim. Just to be clear though, the championships that I'm talking about at those places are real championships. Professional tournaments or elite level amateur events. I'm sure that club championships will play off the white tees at around 6600/6700. At that yardage, the Standard Scratch Score is already higher than the par for the course - so why stretch it any further?

Course is now 7100 from the tips and that is where I play. I only have broken 80 maybe 10% of the time this year. Running out of talent... Pace of play? My son and I typicaly play in 2:30 or a little faster. He is 12, plays from 6000 yards, and breaks 80 half the time. We could scoot back another 1000 yards and still play in less than 3:00. Should we tee it forward? Really? We always go late in the day and generally don't run into too many folks. They either let us play through or we go around if there is room and they insist on blocking.

Distance influences pace of play, but damn folks! People waste so much freakin' time out there. I get gittery having to watch it. I have to turn away. A lot of the time they are just "playing pro". Just see the shot, hit the shot, and go. People who are slow should speed up. Short of a physical ailment, there is no excuse for slow play independent of score, tees, side bets, etc. Can't speed up? Tee it forward. Maybe Jack should tee it forward.

I like to challenge myself by playing of the back tees when playing on the longer, challenging courses.

I have a theory that these courses are sometimes easier off the back tees....because I usually cant reach the fairway bunkers. I recently played the Greg Norman designed Brookwater course (Brisbane, Australia). 7200 yards or 6500m from the back tees. Thats about one kilometre longer than my normal course.

Last edited:
Playing the same set of Tees all the time can be boring. Here in Germany, most (that I've played) only have Yellow (Mens) and Red (Ladies). Some do have Championship Tees (White), but that is usually not the case. I've played the Red (5750 yds), the Yellow (6400 yes), and will sometimes alternate between the two on my home course (odd/even call it the Orange one and two).

Switching things up forces me to play different shots, face different putting/chipping/pitching situations, and in general causes me to focus better. I've learned that putting for birdie is different mentally than for par or bogey. It can be fun.

Play whatever tees you enjoy playing from and leave the ego at the door. I feel for the ladies though, they have nowhere to move up to, and our course isn't easy (Slope 128) from their tees.

Status
Not open for further replies.