How much of the golfer's improvment is dependent on....

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sure it's largely dependent upon the individual, how they learn, the source of the info, how effectively they practice, etc. Interested in where this discussion leads...

Depends what you are trying to improve of course, but . . .

If you have an ingrained, amateur type swing, like the average 8-25 capper; or in other words, if there is a serious a fault in your swing that gets you trackman numbers that deviate a whole bunch from what scratch players and tour players are doing - then I think good information is crucial to improving your ball-striking. The hard thing about golf is that a bad move anywhere in the swing will affect the moves that follow it. So, not only does the information have to be good - it has to be complete. A little bit of good knowledge can be dangerous.

Ex. 1 Hit DOWN on the ball (I didn't realize until the "Ideas" came out, that compression was really spin loft, and that you really don't want to hit down all that much).

Ex. 2 Swing starts from the ground up. (Sure: start with the hips, rotate the body and shoulder, get left early - TUG CITY).

The real trick is once you know what to do, you have to know what you are currently doing, and know how to change it. All this is hard enough, but starting with bad information. . . good luck.

Ideas and the no-tug have me hitting the ball well enough that I am making time for my short-game. So, for people like me who prefer the feeling of a solid iron shot to an up-and-down, I need good information just to allow myself to practice what really improves scores:rolleyes: phew

Status
Not open for further replies.