How to get Axis Tilt without hanging back....

Status
Not open for further replies.
On my downswing, I have a big tendency to "hang back" through the shot (yes I have sag through the shot as well). How do I get an appropriate amount of axis tilt without hanging back?????

Thanks.

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
By not swaying too far off the ball in the backswing. If you make a nice backswing pivot and sway or lean to far to the right, when you try to get that right shoulder to go downplane, your hands/arms will be too far away from their impact point and you physically just can't "get there."

you need to make a backswing and then ask yourself, "from this position can i get to impact?" If you can't you have to adjust.

Interesting question 300 (and response, Jim). I usually don't set up with much axis tilt. When I try to set up with it, I find that I hang back and have to swing to left field (i'm a lefty) to have a decent impact. I always notice that I don't get up on the rear toe in the follow-through either. I feel like Paul Goydos looks.

When I don't set up with it, I add some, but not enough. The more I add, the harder it is for me to feel like I'm using a descending blow into the ball.

Last edited:
By not swaying too far off the ball in the backswing. If you make a nice backswing pivot and sway or lean to far to the right, when you try to get that right shoulder to go downplane, your hands/arms will be too far away from their impact point and you physically just can't "get there."

you need to make a backswing and then ask yourself, "from this position can i get to impact?" If you can't you have to adjust.

Thank you, thank you, thank you! I have been struggling with this myself and after reviewing video I think I may be swaying to the right.

Burner

New
Interesting question 300 (and response, Jim). I usually don't set up with much axis tilt. When I try to set up with it, I find that I hang back and have to swing to left field (i'm a lefty) to have a decent impact. I always notice that I don't get up on the rear tow in the follow-through either. I feel like Paul Goydos looks.

When I don't set up with it, I add some, but not enough. The more I add, the harder it is for me to feel like I'm using a descending blow into the ball.
I am with you on this one, Terris. Axis tilt on set up should be determined solely by the club, ball position and grip - i.e right hand below left is generally sufficient to determine any axis tilt needed at set up. Any variations only serve to interfere with correct alignments.

Secondary axis tilt invoked at transition is, however, a different matter altogether and has real advantages.

However, my advice, for what it is worth, is do not seek to exaggerate it - just let it happen and good things will result.

Good points, Burner. On a related point, I find stance to play a major role with respect to axis tilt and the downswing (which I believe you're referring to as secondary axis tilt). I used to set up with my feet the same width apart on all my irons shots (relatively wide). The added axis tilt on the downswing killed my consistency. When I changed my stance to become narrower with the shorter irons (thus having less weight shift), I hit much more consistently.

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
Good points, Burner. On a related point, I find stance to play a major role with respect to axis tilt and the downswing (which I believe you're referring to as secondary axis tilt). I used to set up with my feet the same width apart on all my irons shots (relatively wide). The added axis tilt on the downswing killed my consistency. When I changed my stance to become narrower with the shorter irons (thus having less weight shift), I hit much more consistently.

that is because short irons require much less axis tilt than the longer clubs. So by having such a wide stance you were effectively creating more tilt than you need.

bts

New
"Cause" and "Effect".

Great question.

You don't do the "Axis Tilt", instead, you do "sustain the lag beyond impact" (the "cause" or "intent"), whcih gives you the "Axis Tilt" (the "effect").

If you do the "Axis Tilt" (the "cause" or "intent"), you get ""hang back" (the "effect").

Jared Willerson

Super Moderator
Great question.

You don't do the "Axis Tilt", instead, you do "sustain the lag beyond impact" (the "cause" or "intent"), whcih gives you the "Axis Tilt" (the "effect").

If you do the "Axis Tilt" (the "cause" or "intent"), you get ""hang back" (the "effect").

I like that. Thanks. If focuses on what is really important.

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
Great question.

BTS i highly respect your insight and your opinions and generally agree with you however i am going to have to disagree on this one. I think the above quoted statement is correct in theory and might work some a small amount of players.

However for the average player who already has trouble with sustaining any lag, pivot issues, flipping issues, etc you really have to make them do it. Make them focus it on it, even to the point to over exaggerate them a bit to get it to happen and then reel it back in when they eventually over exaggerate it to the point where it is an issue.

I think this is a subject were we both have correct opinions but might differ in how we think we can apply them the best way.

Jared Willerson

Super Moderator
When I "try" to axis tilt, I hit it fat....a lot. When I push the right leg into the ground and try maintain lag, I don't.

I see what you are saying too, Jim. You need to know what it feels like first and then focus on the cause that allows you to do it.

Burner

New
When I "try" to axis tilt, I hit it fat....a lot. When I push the right leg into the ground and try maintain lag, I don't.

I see what you are saying too, Jim. You need to know what it feels like first and then focus on the cause that allows you to do it.
For a "feels like" example imagine that when you get to the top of your back swing you have something pressing against your left hip.

Just nudge it out of the way with your hip as a prelude to the down stroke.

Status
Not open for further replies.