How to hinge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dear Jim,

Firstly, thanks for all your great input we are all benefitting.

You asked me in another thread to start this one on hinging so as not to highjack the other thread. You mentioned that I don't know how to hinge. I would really appreciate your input on how hinging really works.

Thanks much,
spike

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
Hinging is all about educated hands and knowing what to do with them, ultimately it's clubface control.

The only way to learn clubface control or to "hinge" is to practice it. There are many ways to learn or practice but some are better than others.

Do you have a specific question on a particular hinge? Or how to make it happen?

Jayro1

New
Hinging is all about educated hands and knowing what to do with them, ultimately it's clubface control.

The only way to learn clubface control or to "hinge" is to practice it. There are many ways to learn or practice but some are better than others.

Do you have a specific question on a particular hinge? Or how to make it happen?

The only time I think about hinge action is in short game situations. Is it something you should work on for full swings for all clubs? In order to manipulate ball flight and trajectory?

Nope!

You told me that I don't understand hinging and asked me to start a new thread. So, please explain to me what I don't know about hinging. To me hinging is merely a choice of how you want the ball to fly. Unless of course you want to bring into play the path and ball position or pattern limitations.

But, this is about hinging...so let 'er fly!

Your input will help all of us!!!

Jim, what drills have you used yourself to improve your clubface/hinge action control?

Jim,
can you define what you classify as hingeing in a bit more detail.. Is it only relevant to the hands/wrist?..

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
Jim, what drills have you used yourself to improve your clubface/hinge action control?

The drills are hard to type out as i will modify them for student to student. However when praticing and learning it's best to do them on chips and pitches only with an emphasis on chips first.

Mainly what we focus on is the different arm/wrist positions you need to do to produce each type of hinge and then i keep modifying what i'm "saying" until they "get it." So i might say one thing to one student and another to some other student just because they might interpret the info different and need different explanations.

I know this can get complicated but when reffering to hinging there are 4 ways to hinge, knuckles forward, knuckles backwards, wrists-thumb moving up wrist-little finger moving down toward ground(not talking about rolling).
Any examples or thoughts on how these different hinging actions effect impact and ball control would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.