How to kick the reverse pivot for good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got a slight-bend-the-left-knee-over-the-left-foot reverse pivot that I can's seem to kick for more than a round or two. When it's gone, golf is fun. When it's there, my back hurts. Anyone had success definitively getting rid of this one? Thanks.

Burner

New
Not yolking.

I've got a slight-bend-the-left-knee-over-the-left-foot reverse pivot that I can's seem to kick for more than a round or two. When it's gone, golf is fun. When it's there, my back hurts. Anyone had success definitively getting rid of this one? Thanks.

Address the ball with all of your weight on your right foot - imagine you have an egg beneath your left foot that you do not wish to break.

Make your back swing then smash the egg as you start your down swing.

Cracking good tip, huh! :D

A button, a belt buckle and a tilt

Set up to the ball with a "slight" amount of axis tilt. As you take the club away try to "maintain" this amount of axis tilt all the way to the top of your back swing. Too much axis tilt and you will move too much off the ball. I often tell a student to keep the top button of their golf shirt behind their belt buckle starting at address and to maintain that same relationship all the way to the top of there backswing.

Sharp turn of right hip is a good one.

Oft overlooked.

(not around here thankfully)

Used to help me to practice pivoting without a club in hand too.

The move you want is sharp right hip turn + turn left shoulder over right hip. (i.e. to your right)

(or somewhere around "over the right hip" anyhow)

Brian often uses a club and puts it from left shoulder to right hip I believe. (then he puts pressure on the hip end of the club and pivots)

This is a good one. Hope I have described it kerrektley. :)

Check out NSA stuff. Articles videos threads.

Last edited:

greenfree

Banned
Set up to the ball with a "slight" amount of axis tilt. As you take the club away try to "maintain" this amount of axis tilt all the way to the top of your back swing. Too much axis tilt and you will move too much off the ball. I often tell a student to keep the top button of their golf shirt behind their belt buckle starting at address and to maintain that same relationship all the way to the top of there backswing.

I can't picture this?

Take 2

Let me try it this way. At address, position your sternum (or a se;ected button of your golf shirt) 1 inch further from the target than your tailbone. As you turn your shoulders, chest.....back to the top, try to maintain this same relationship between the sternum and tailbone. I say 1 inch only because although I want to see some spine (axis) tilt I do not want it to be a foot of tilt. Do this drill slowly, without hitting a ball, eyes closed (in a dark alley, only kidding) until you can feel how the type of shoulder turn you make (flat vs steep) allows you to maintain the slight spinal tilt and begin to transfer the weight pressure to your back foot and buttocks. If you do not feel this transfer of weight pressure then you did not retain the "1 inch tilt" probably because of an incorrect shoulder turn (probably too steep). Try it and you will soon feel the difference.

I have, from time to time, criticized posts that are poorly written with the results that
the message doesn't get clearly received.

Both of these posts by Bax are, in my opinion, very clear and easy to understand.

Brian Manzella

Administrator

Sharp hip turn always helps a reverse pivot.

But knowing WHERE you want your right arm at the top is a SURE, permanent fix.

greenfree

Banned
I have, from time to time, criticized posts that are poorly written with the results that
the message doesn't get clearly received.

Both of these posts by Bax are, in my opinion, very clear and easy to understand.

No one said his posts were poorly written and the message not clear. Your trying to start a problem, I just don't think of it that way, is my message clear to you, is it well written enough for you? Do you get it, are you picking up what i'm laying down? It's not about you is it.

Last edited:

Thanks to ALL for their helpful suggestions. I hit a few wedges in the vacant lot down the street working on keeping the axis tilt. It helps. Per Richie3's comments, I also noted that I've got a fair amount of pop out, developed (or likely just made worse) in an attempt to bring the clubhead "up the wall" as in NHA.

The difficulty I have is in making a flatish shoulder turn without dragging the clubhead inside and over-rotating the flying wedge. And this seems to me to be connected to bad right arm technique. Which brings me to Brian's somewhat opaque suggestion: Where do I want the right arm?

Turn your left shoulder back so that it gets over your right knee.

Not EXACTLY

NOPE.....not unless there is a bit or more of a weight shift or coil into the right side (no sway)

keeping the weight on the inside of the right foot..........(right handers)

nothing is SURE....if you reverse pivot, the right hand means NADA

Brian Manzella

Administrator
No, exactly.

NOPE.....not unless there is a bit or more of a weight shift or coil into the right side (no sway)

keeping the weight on the inside of the right foot..........(right handers)

nothing is SURE....if you reverse pivot, the right hand means NADA

I should have said it this way:

If you know EXACTLY where you what your right arm, and you get it there, you will NOT reverse-pivot ever.

hip turn

Here you are this might help us

STEP on your right foot.....see "weight movement"

NOW.....right hip turns......or pre-set right hip a bit turned

in fact...forget STEP...just setup with more weight on right foot.....hip turn and go

such a simple game........... made so difficult

How do you do this without getting the right shoulder too flat? I find this suggestion often results in my shoulders turning too level to the ground.

It has 0.. Nothing...Nada to do with the level of the shoulder turn. It has to do with tilt away from the target. You can get your left shoulder over your knee with a flat or steep shoulder turn.

greenfree

Banned
It has 0.. Nothing...Nada to do with the level of the shoulder turn. It has to do with tilt away from the target. You can get your left shoulder over your knee with a flat or steep shoulder turn.

Do you have to do this? The left shoulder over the right knee, what if you don't are you reverse pivoting or just less flexible. I don't see that in a lot of top golfers their lead shoulder never reaches the right knee. Moe Norman was one. Maybe trying to get it there helps.

Last edited:
Thanks to ALL for their helpful suggestions. I hit a few wedges in the vacant lot down the street working on keeping the axis tilt. It helps. Per Richie3's comments, I also noted that I've got a fair amount of pop out, developed (or likely just made worse) in an attempt to bring the clubhead "up the wall" as in NHA.

The difficulty I have is in making a flatish shoulder turn without dragging the clubhead inside and over-rotating the flying wedge. And this seems to me to be connected to bad right arm technique. Which brings me to Brian's somewhat opaque suggestion: Where do I want the right arm?

Ditto on the right arm question. I've never heard this before (right arm relationship to the reverse pivot); I'm curious!

Do you have to do this? The left shoulder over the right knee, what if you don't are you reverse pivoting or just less flexible. I don't see that in a lot of top golfers their lead shoulder never reaches the right knee. Moe Norman was one. Maybe trying to get it there helps.

You don't have to physically achieve it, but the intention to do it will cause good things.

Status
Not open for further replies.