How to Produce a Low Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
These days it is difficult because of how high the drivers are designed to launch it. In reality, as long as you don't have that much spin on the ball a medium trajectory driver balllflight will yield the most distance.

However, i have developed a low piercing draw with my driver. It's a shot i took a while to develop because i could hit it farther and more controlled than an all out 3 wood. I even use it on the tee form time to time when the wind isn't blowing in my face either.

Essentially, it's a punch shot at full speed with the driver. However it takes time to learn because the face REALLY likes to turn over so you have to avoid the snap with it. Tee it SLIGHTLY lower (not a lot that will create too much spin and upshoot it anyway) and use a punch shot swing with the driver. Then figure out how not to over draw it and bingo, there's your wind cheater

Last, a good stiff tip shaft is essential as well. If you have a shaft with a soft tip designed to deflect a lot at impact it will launch the ball higher than you want as well

choke down on grip and take your hands out of the shot. Jim has some good points too. Its actually nice to have both the fade and draw. Draw goes thru wind way better.

when its breezy, swing nice and easy

tee it slightly lower, move it marginally further back in your stance and swing smoother.

i personally try to feel my hands are further ahead of the ball more than normal, but this might not be good for everyone.

i know some recomend actually teeing it slightly HIGHER when driving into the wind, as you can catch more towards top of the face and reduce the spin greatly

I'll give you a version I learned long time ago (from Seve I think)..

Tee the ball higher and maybe a touch rearward of your normal position
Don't transfer as much weight on the backswing (try and stay on your left side more)...
Swing flatter and reduce your wrist cock as much as possible...

This ends up with a very low drawing ballflight....

i know some recomend actually teeing it slightly HIGHER when driving into the wind, as you can catch more towards top of the face and reduce the spin greatly

Sorry pecky I don't quite get that....

The top of the face has more loft, so surely that would equate to more spin?.....

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
Sorry pecky I don't quite get that....

The top of the face has more loft, so surely that would equate to more spin?.....

No, the loft will launch the ball higher (initially) but because the ball is struck much higher than where the COG is in the head, the ball spins less. This is the design behind "high launch/low spin" driver heads. Catch it slightly higher on the face for the launch and allow the COG of the head to spin it less.

No, the loft will launch the ball higher (initially) but because the ball is struck much higher than where the COG is in the head, the ball spins less. This is the design behind "high launch/low spin" driver heads. Catch it slightly higher on the face for the launch and allow the COG of the head to spin it less.

they used to say when seve played in the wind he "hit it over the wind" LOL
he used this technique when he played in the wind, but i think with modern driver this isnt as applicable because these drivers nowadays the lauch angle would not work if you were playing into a stiff wind

Thanks all for the input...I seem to have better luck with a low fade..I don't have a problem keeping my hands forward..I am going to try Jim's idea and see how it works.

Status
Not open for further replies.