How to Shallow Angle of Attack

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello im currently trying to shallow out mt AoA with my irons. I really like to compress the ball, but im guilty of over doing it, i always get ball first contact, and my distance control is pretty good, but my divots are very deep, and its got to the point that i have come close to snapping a few shafts. The thing is when i do shallow things out i always take it fat and while i get the smaller shallow divot it always occurs before the ball, this is not a result of getting too far inside. I would love to find out why this happens, any advice or drills would be greatly appreciated thanks guys.

lia41985

You've run up, you've sat, you've tilted but as you jump try to back extend more/quicker.
<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/TLf_tA3SzJA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:
thanks very much lia for the reply, excuse my ignorance , but could you briefly explain run up, sit, jump, and back extend. i have a vague idea what they are but would rather know exactly. thanks lia.

Last edited:

dbl

New
May I interject another idea here? Perhaps low point control is involved.

I wish the Manz team would help on this, as I think adjusting AoA and low point is a tremendous area that golfers need help with.

Consider the following diagram.

You can ignore the dark blue line. Your current strike is the red line, going quite deep. The other three lines have similar angles of attack. If you just took you regular strike and flattened the angle of attack you'd get the cyan line, and hit behind the ball. But if you could reduce the downwardness that the clubhead goes but using that new angle of attack and your original setup, you could be on the magenta line. Or the other choice would be to still go just as deep as originally but with the low point way forward, but personally I doubt that would be a better approach.

downwardstrike.png

lia41985

May I interject another idea here? Perhaps low point control is involved.

I wish the Manz team would help on this, as I think adjusting AoA and low point is a tremendous area that golfers need help with.

Consider the following diagram.

You can ignore the dark blue line. Your current strike is the red line, going quite deep. The other three lines have similar angles of attack. If you just took you regular strike and flattened the angle of attack you'd get the cyan line, and hit behind the ball. But if you could reduce the downwardness that the clubhead goes but using that new angle of attack and your original setup, you could be on the magenta line. Or the other choice would be to still go just as deep as originally but with the low point way forward, but personally I doubt that would be a better approach.

downwardstrike.png
This is a nice illustration and a helpful explanation but there's an assumption built into it about where low point is. That could spoil your analysis but the effort to make the illustration and explain it is much appreciated!

lia41985

thanks very much lia for the reply, excuse my ignorance , but could you briefly explain run up, sit, jump, and back extend. i have a vague idea what they are but would rather know exactly. thanks lia.
I think a good backswing will involve a blending of the following: a step on the right foot, a pull back of the club and left shoulder along with any so-called "centers", and a turning of "the body" (generic, I know; shoulders and hips are turning, knees are turning, arms are rotating, etc.). A good golf swing will have continuity such that you'll have what many term a "counterfall" that allows you to run up into the left leg and hip while bringing your torso more "forward", that are then "stabilized" (i.e. segmental stability; after you've "put" your low point in the "right" place for the selected shot) by the sitting into the left "side". You want to snap your kinetic chain by "jumping"--this jump will involve, at the very least, left knee extension and back extension. Here's Sean Foley talking about the run up and jump: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nI0YAXWECw0#t=1m39s

Stand straight up with your spine "neutral". Now pretend I want to put a big ol' round pillow in your lower back--to make it fit you're going to have to extend the lumbar spine. That's back extension. That back extension, paired with side bend (axis tilt) wlll help lay the face back but also shallow out the angle of attack.

I would say that one of the reasons why Ogilvy takes shallow divots or merely just seemingly brushes the ground (as in the video I posted) is because of the way he incorporates back extension as a component.

Last edited:

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
All bets are off if these are actually steep divots from an early releaser/flipper who cheats and slides to get ball first contact. Sounds like it to me because attempts to shallow out causes scruffy fat shots from the long right arm.

Take out any slack of the left side of the body...left shoulder up the plane more than you think you should early along with straightening the left leg earlier than you think you should. ie...THE JUMP!

thanks for all the replies, i really appreciate it. i posted a couple of links to my swing on youtube, but i deleted the post, im not sure if your allowed to do that. it was the first time i ever filmed my swing, and i never realised it looked so bad haha.

thanks for all the replies, i really appreciate it. i posted a couple of links to my swing on youtube, but i deleted the post, im not sure if your allowed to do that. it was the first time i ever filmed my swing, and i never realised it looked so bad haha.

I saw it before you took it down. Your swing looks great man, don't be ashamed at all! Besides, I don't believe anyone around here would have anything other then constructive criticism anyways.

I thought the poster asked a simple question how to shallow out the downswing not- step on the rt foot,counterfall,runup,snap the chain,extend the back,finding low point. Holy shi@#$*t your gonna put this poor guy in the looney house!

DONT OVER TEACH - these terms are never mentioned in interviews by players . Whens the the last time Tiger talked about his counterfall and his chain snapped or he had a bad low point day?

lia41985

I thought the poster asked a simple question how to shallow out the downswing not- step on the rt foot,counterfall,runup,snap the chain,extend the back,finding low point. Holy shi@#$*t your gonna put this poor guy in the looney house!

DONT OVER TEACH - these terms are never mentioned in interviews by players . Whens the the last time Tiger talked about his counterfall and his chain snapped or he had a bad low point day?
So what do you suggest, siksta? He's asking a "simple" question and you've only offered a criticism of the answers given. I know I don't appreciate that considering the effort (both in time and thought) that I've put into helping our friend from Ireland.

thanks johnny for your kind words. its funny how you picture how you swing in your head and then when you see it, reality sinks in haha. im not sure but is it ok to post links to your swing, maybe you have to ask permission before doing that.

Aesthetically your swing looks very good (I don't know enough to commenet technically and will leave that to the experts). I do know how you feel about what you think your golf swing looks like and what is actually happening!

Its how scoopers and flippers figure out a way to have a steeper angle of attack by sliding their body, usually their upper body, in front of the ball at impact.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
WHOA!!!

Angle of Attack is simply where you hit the ball on the arc.

At the bottom—0°

On the way down—negative X°

On the way up—positive X°

This is NOT a plane angle thing.

Its how scoopers and flippers figure out a way to have a steeper angle of attack by sliding their body, usually their upper body, in front of the ball at impact.

Guilty.

Though I was never a scooper or flipper. In my case, I had a big slide of the upper body forward, combined with a big roll of the shoulders in the downswing, to avoid hitting behind the ball (cause: failure to uncock wrists properly in downswing) and a weird finish with my left elbow low and pointing sideways.

It's usually a chicken or egg type of thing. Players either lunge forward and then make a last ditch effort to both square up the face and find the bottom of the ball, or an early uncocking of the wrist and straigtening of the right arm has the club bottoming out behind the ball...so you lunge forward. You choose.

All bets are off if these are actually steep divots from an early releaser/flipper who cheats and slides to get ball first contact. Sounds like it to me because attempts to shallow out causes scruffy fat shots from the long right arm.

Take out any slack of the left side of the body...left shoulder up the plane more than you think you should early along with straightening the left leg earlier than you think you should. ie...THE JUMP!

Thank you for asking this questions and the answers. I have been working on this trying to figure it out in my own swing and was waiting for some of this input. It follows with what I have been working on:

Trying to put these together for the downswing: axis tilt(takes out slack in left side); left shoulder up and back(to stay on plane--see throw the drunk off); upper body and head back behind the ball; hands in front of the shaft; and "jump".

Status
Not open for further replies.