How would you elevate a ping pong ball with your thumbnail?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, bare with me on this...

With your target arm and left hand in a golf grip orientation, place your thumb pad (thumb print) on a table. It's fair to say your thumb nail would be parallel to the table (and ground). Let's assume that grip orientation with the thumb print level to the table is a bit too weak so you can adjust the thumb nail so it faces your right shoulder a little more.

Here's the fun part.

If you had a ping pong ball on the table immediately left of your thumb, lets assume it would be opposite your left thigh, and I asked you to swing your arm and try and get the ping pong ball airborne and moving toward a target parallel to your body line (like golf), what would you do??

You would need to "add loft" to your thumb nail. This puts your left wrist in a pretty good "golf" position!!!!

The reason I'm painting this picture: I gave a high handicapper, new student a lesson yesterday. I run video (don't always refer to it) and provide a DVD after the lesson. So I decided to show him his miserable flip (the horror). Anyway, I started to explain leverage to him and while doing so I notice how my left thumb nail (exageration) was in a lofted condition as I exagerated the explanation.

Light bulbs.... I asked him to get his left thumb in a lofted position through impact as though he were hitting ping pong balls off of a coffee table. He got the concept immediately.

Wow! What a difference! I wish I had a "before and after" to post. He went from a leaker to a compressor in five minutes and a slicer to a hooker.

BMan has said, "at some point every good player has some twist away" and this simple thought gave my student the needed "twistaway" to produce some great ball/ground impact and a ball flight he didn't know was possible.

That thought might help some of you.

True genius from the inventor

One of the best tips for us clueless without FLW and/or shaft rotation I´ve ever heard.
You just can´t do it with a bent left wrist. Now I just have to find a way to keep the ping-pong balls on my inclined table so I can loft them away more golf-like with my 45 degree nailwedge...

Last edited:
Cmartin,

I have been simulating your exercise and I have a horrific delimma!! A) That it seems like it will help my swing and B) Someone might find out!!:D

Yes...

assume the ping pong ball gets hit with the nail, not pad, correct?

Think of the nail on your thumb as a mini club face. As goofy as this sounds, it had great results with my last student.

Keep in mind, the Bman throws plenty of drunks off his back;)

Status
Not open for further replies.