I Friggin' Did It!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Went out today and shot -1 (71) at Magnolia Grove (Robert Trent Jones Golf Trail in Mobile, AL). What's more, I did it with a Triple Bogey on one of the par 5's (penalty off the tee, and some bad luck trying to make up for it). One over on the front with a triple, and two under on the back. Overall, 64% Fairways hit (71% on the back), 72% GIR (89% on the back). Other than the triple, 4 birdies and all pars. Three sand saves, and a few more clutch par putts to make it possible.

I don't care what anyone tries to tell me in the future, Soft Draw is my swing. I hadn't been hitting it that well, but had gotten away with a few rounds in the low 80's while really struggling off of the tee. Watched the video again the other night, showed up with no practice before the round today, and it all came together. Really, I hit the ball very, very straight, with a few "fall left" shots when I wanted them. Now that I know it's possible, I think I'll be able to overcome a few bad holes instead of letting it go to hell when something doesn't go my way.

Thanks Brian for getting me to where I am, and providing me with your insight and science on the golf swing to build on your teaching and play better golf!!

Went out today and shot -1 (71) at Magnolia Grove (Robert Trent Jones Golf Trail in Mobile, AL). What's more, I did it with a Triple Bogey on one of the par 5's (penalty off the tee, and some bad luck trying to make up for it). One over on the front with a triple, and two under on the back. Overall, 64% Fairways hit (71% on the back), 72% GIR (89% on the back). Other than the triple, 4 birdies and all pars. Three sand saves, and a few more clutch par putts to make it possible.

I don't care what anyone tries to tell me in the future, Soft Draw is my swing. I hadn't been hitting it that well, but had gotten away with a few rounds in the low 80's while really struggling off of the tee. Watched the video again the other night, showed up with no practice before the round today, and it all came together. Really, I hit the ball very, very straight, with a few "fall left" shots when I wanted them. Now that I know it's possible, I think I'll be able to overcome a few bad holes instead of letting it go to hell when something doesn't go my way.

Thanks Brian for getting me to where I am, and providing me with your insight and science on the golf swing to build on your teaching and play better golf!!
First time under par?
Big congratulations. Quite some exhilarating feeling is it not?

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
It is a great feeling. Now you're in a new comfort zone so next time you're under par you can focus on getting more under instead of hanging on. Congrats.

ZAP

New
Number one: I hate the fact that you got to play golf. Snowed here today.
Number two: Congrats and thanks for sharing!
Number three: What is your next goal?

Great job! Sounds as though that's an important Milestone for you, something to be very proud of!

Now for a new goal...as Monty Python would say "nothing would be finer than a sixty n---r!! ;)

Awesome job once again!

Number one: I hate the fact that you got to play golf. Snowed here today.
Number two: Congrats and thanks for sharing!
Number three: What is your next goal?

Thanks! It is awesome to be able to play golf practically all winter. As far as my next goal.....to simply play relaxed, hit the kind of quality shots that I did yesterday, and let it become a more regular thing. Except for a few iffy tee shots, my misses were all acceptable, and I didn't freak out if I was off the mark. Instead, I focused and got up and down.

Great Job!!! I still have the card when I did it just last year. Again job well done!!

The card is definitely in my golf bag.....and it will stay there! It probably will serve as a good reminder that it can be done when/if things start going off the rails in the future.

Another side note.... For a while now, I've been looking to play a good-sized draw, as I was a chronic slicer when my golf obsession began, and I hate to see the ball peel off to the right. Strangely, though, this round of golf was literally the straightest I've hit it in a long, long time. Even though I went back to the SD backswing, I realized that I've been tinkering too much with my downswing trying to hit a slinging draw, and the misses were HUGE. This time around, I stopped worrying about hitting that slinging draw, and just aimed for straight shots.

In hitting it straight, I gave myself a lot more chances, and could literally aim at every pin. Did I flare a few a little to the right....sure. Did I pull a few.....you bet. But I'll be damned if my misses weren't WAAAAY more manageable when I wasn't aiming for a big moving shot, and giving myself no room for error on one side of the course.

Also, knowing that your wedges are going really straight gives you a huge amount of confidence from about 115 in. I literally aimed at every pin from this distance, and hit a lot of shots really close, both to save par and to give myself good birdie looks. Although it's really self-evident, man there is definitely something to be said for being able to hit the straight ball with confidence! This "Brian" guy and crew are onto something with all this talk about "zeroing out."

Status
Not open for further replies.