I really hate this game sometimes...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm finally back in California for the summer! And back to golf after nearly a year long golf layaway.

Been playing golf pretty much every other day since last week, and for the most part enjoying it, and got back to my hacker game relatively quickly, shooting low 90s on easier short courses (the longest club I have in my bag is a Titleist 585H 19*)

But man days like today make me feel sick.

Swing! Huge Push Slice (x3) Alright...I'm not twisting away and actually keeping the face open with left hand drag. I'll just twistaway!

Swing! Straight -> Huge Hook (x2)

Hmm. Maybe I'll try swinging left with the same twistaway and it'll end up like NHA.

Swing! Pull/Duck Hook (x2)

Eventually I got it down to big fades/slices and pull draws only.

This goes on for the rest of the long round (luckily the course was rather empty so I wasn't holding anyone up). Eventually it got so bad I decided to only hit 7 irons off the tee. Still had the same issues, but at least I was still in play.

Before today I was feeling pretty decent about my iron game as I was swinging pretty well with my friends MP30s (I don't have irons, was going to buy a set soon). But man, I can't hit anything straight. I already sold my driver as I couldn't hit that straight and with 19* loft usually I could keep most stuff in play even if it fades a little too much, but I'm lost now. Poorly fit clubs can't make someone this bad.

I wish I was back in Chicago so I can quickly drive to Jim and ask for a lesson, but I'm stuck here for a while :(

Is there any tips on how to get over this?

And some recommendations for some clubs, I love the feel/look of my friend's set I'm borrowing, but I obviously can't play them.

Multi,

"hitting the ball is easy, hitting it with precision, most difficult."

So, in order to learn the precision part, you have to take your lumps and master things as slower speeds. I know it is fun to pound the driver, but if you can't pitch the ball where you want to and control the distance, you aren't going to do it with clubs with less loft.

I know this statement may result in a big, "Duh....," but too many ams what to take the high road to better golf and skip the building blocks.

I'd like to drive fast, but if I got in a Formula 1 car, I'd ditch at the first turn...I know how to drive, but not at those speeds.

Take it slow and build it up.

Thanks Martin. I guess I'll have to spend more time at the range and swing shorter/slower. I actually try to only keep clubs in the bag I can swing fairly straight (reason why I don't even own anything lower lofted that the 19*) but with the way it's going it's impossible to get around the course teeing off with a 6 iron! This site has definitely helped but I think I need some professional help as I'm tired trying to to dig it out of the dirt myself :).

Status
Not open for further replies.