IMHO the best post on this forum of all time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leek

New
I was reviewing my old notes from posts on here and came across this post. I think it's the best post of all time. I think it should be pinned to the board!

"At address, bend over from the hips enough so you can reach the ball with little or no knee bend, and still can reach past your shirt seam with your left hand (not with a club).

With the butt of the club pointing as near to your belt buckle as you can, use your stomach muscles to move the grip end of the club in the takeaway, as if the head and was stuck in the ground. Use your hands to reach for the spot you want to hit at the the top, pulling all the slack out of your body, all the way down to your left foot.

From the top, start down by using the ground to stretch all the pinch-able fat and skin from the left side of your torso. Make a motion that would throw your arms right off off your body if you had detachable arms like a Mannequin. These arms should hit the ground near the target line just ahead of the ball. RESIST moving the "bowtie" area forward. Stay as bent over as you can and finish with your hands as far from your left ear as you can."

tank

New
Misunderstood words

... "At address, bend over from the hips enough so you ..... still can reach past your shirt seam with your left hand (not with a club)....

I don't understand what you are describing with the above statement.:confused:
Can you please clarify. Thanks.

Leek

New
I don't understand what you are describing with the above statement.:confused:
Can you please clarify. Thanks.

First of all BM posted this some time ago. If I see a great post, I copy it to a doc file and save it. This was a favorite.

I believe Brian was saying you should be able to reach the right hand seam of your shirt with your left hand.

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
I think it is a good description, but has little real world use for poor golfers.

Um....no. What brian described is exactly what usually happens when i was giving lessons:

1) everyone stood up too much
2) nobody knew how to drive the right shoulder downplane correctly
3) no one had enough axis tilt

Self, why do you think it has very little real world value for poor golfers?

Because the average golf rag reading 100 shooter wouldn't be able to make use of that information by reading that passage. Most of us have been here long enough to make good use of that bit of prose, but after reading it the majority of sucky golfers would still be buying distance balls, and hitting driver 230.

First of all BM posted this some time ago. If I see a great post, I copy it to a doc file and save it. This was a favorite.

I believe Brian was saying you should be able to reach the right hand seam of your shirt with your left hand.

Sorry to be dense, but I don't follow this. No matter how much you bend, you can reach past the right seam of your shirt. Does this refer to how much you can reach towards the ball while still meeting the other good posture requirements?

Sorry to be dense, but I don't follow this. No matter how much you bend, you can reach past the right seam of your shirt. Does this refer to how much you can reach towards the ball while still meeting the other good posture requirements?

Dude you should be shooting 68 after reading that passage:)

tank

New
Is it saying, in effect, not to bend over so far that that you are unable to swing the club shaft on plane without making your swing plane too flat?

Brian Manzella

Administrator
A new entry....

Here is my 500 word or less essay, that would help the most hackers.

See that little meaty part of your hand under the pinky? That's your "heel pad." Put it on top of the grip and close your fingers so that your thumb is just right of center. Piggy-back your right pinky over the crease between your left forefinger and middle finger. Using just the middle two fingers, circle the grip, then extend your right forefinger down the shaft a bit, and have the thumb somewhat off to the other side.

Do your bending down to the ball without bending your knees first. Then bend you knees slightly. The end of the grip closest to you, shouldn't be any further away than the distance of your extended left thumb and pinky (as a measurement), and should point to your belt buckle.

Place the club in the middle of your feet, which should be about shoulder width, and have the ball just left of that. Make sure your head feels like it is slightly to the right of the ball. Make sure your belt buckle points to the right of the ball.

Use a combination of a slight shift to the right, and a sharp turn of your right hip to assist you with pulling the grip end of the club away from the ball without any extra bending of your left wrist (witch started a little bent).

Whlie the club swings back, twist the grip end of the club a little away from you, as you lift your arms enough to expose your underarms a bit, and try to point the club at the target.

Holding that grip twist, start the downswing by shifting the weight to the left while you try to make an underhanded toss motion with your right shoulder.
Your should swing into the ball with your right arm passing close to your right thigh, your head still behind the ball, and your whole rear end feeling like it is getting in front of it.

Hit the ball with the club leaning forward a bit, as if you wanted to send the ball below the ground a bit, instead off into the air. While you catch the ball on the way down, make sure that "triggered" right forefinger feels directly behind the hit. Also feel like you are unwinding your stomach and hips, underneath your still-behind-the-ball head, and forward rear end. Like throwing a frisbee left-handed.

As the clubface passes through the ball, apply enough twist so that the face of the club will point to the ground at some point before you finish.

Finish with your knees touching, all your weight on your left heel, and water still running our of your right ear, with the grip end of the club pointing at the target on the way to that spot, and your hands as far away from your left ear as you can without straining.

The swing should have a feeling of ease and as if you are just dropping the club on the ball.

What'd I win? :D

What'd I win? :D

The two dozen new Pinnacles currently residing in Self-Mastery's trunk.

So, Brian, the first description makes a lot of sense after having read quite a bit here. The "shirt seam" part of the comment is the only part I didn't get. What did you mean by that?

Last edited:
New convert to the Brian Manzella school of thinking - Thanks Birdie-Man;)

Really linking this teaching philosophy and was ripping it last night after my review of never slice again and confessions of a former flipper.

Biggest thing I've learned is that my grip was slightly incorrect whilst reasonably neutral - changing to the BM method has really changed my ballflight characteristics.

Nice one Brian and great forum :) :) :cool:

No problem! Hope things are going well for you Paul.

BTW your grip was not incorrect per-se (at least- if you are talking about it's strength)- it is just not the grip used in NSA 2.0.

Strong grips are perfectly acceptable for some people and in some cases.

(depends on the player and what they need to be working on also- as evidenced in NSA)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.