Impact Information from "unnamed source" who worked at Taylor Made in the 90's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Impact Information from "unnamed source" who worked at Taylor Made in the 90's

I spoke recently with a colleague of mine who did consulting work with Taylor Made Golf in the 90's. He is a teaching pro, but he will remain nameless for now. I knew that he had some interesting findings about impact from measuring many Tour pros. Seeing the information coming from Dr. Zick, through Brian, I called my colleague to see what he could add or confirm. Here are the main points:

1. I asked him how much the Clubhead Path and Attack Angle change during collision. He said "hardly at all". This is consistent with with the .2* change that Brian has shared.

2. He claims that virtually every Tour pro measured, rotates the clubface 2.5*, relative to the clubhead's arc, for every 1 inch of travel through the impact zone. With the ball on the clubface for 3/4 inch, the clubface rotates about 1.9* while the ball is on the clubface. Obviously, not every pro will exhibit the exact same rate of clubface rotation. But he said that not one pro came close to holding the clubface square to the the arc. Just in case it wasn't obvious, opening the clubface, reverse-rotation, on the plane, is prety much an impossibility.

3. He said that a Dynamic Loft during impact of 8* less than the static loft of the club was an often-recurring number. If you remove Attack Angle and the forward bend of the shaft during impact from the equation, you're left with something like a 4 or 5* degree reduction to Spinloft. No big surprise there.

4. But now here is the WHOPPER! He said that because the clubface is rotating during impact, the toe of the clubface is moving 15-20 mph faster than the heel. This compresses the outer part of the ball more than the inner part and results in a 6* "hook torque" applied to the ball. In other words, if Iron Byron hits a ball with the clubface holding square to the arc during collision, then the ball will fly without curve. But, if the clubface is rotating, like Tour pros do it, and the clubface is square to the arc during collision, then the ball will react as if the clubface were 6* closed. A radical finding indeed!

We didn't discuss "max compression vs. separation", but it wouldn't change the theme of his findings.

I certainly can't refute his findings. But I do not wish to defend them, either. I am simply passing on the findings of another. There were no papers published. Take it FWIW.

We're not seeing 2.5* of closing for every inch in the impact zone....
We haven't been told that by Paul Wood either...

Trackman is reporting much more that a 8* difference between static and dynamic.....obviously, more so with the lofted clubs

Trackman is reporting a 7-8 mph difference between sweetspot and toe speeds

No comment on the 6* hook torque because of the different speeds.....interesting..need to hear further....

The club companies have stuff that they don't know what to do with....it's a shame because in the right hands the info could really be helpful

We're not seeing 2.5* of closing for every inch in the impact zone....
We haven't been told that by Paul Wood either...

Trackman is reporting much more that a 8* difference between static and dynamic.....obviously, more so with the lofted clubs

Trackman is reporting a 7-8 mph difference between sweetspot and toe speeds

No comment on the 6* hook torque because of the different speeds.....interesting..need to hear further....

The club companies have stuff that they don't know what to do with....it's a shame because in the right hands the info could really be helpful

It really is a shame and disappointment that that there has been so little scientific research of the golf swing, and specifically impact. There has certainly not been a group effort to carry the torch laid out by The Golf Society Of Great Britain back in 60's. The scientists that worked on that team donated their time and resources. And sadly, there hasn't been much to report since. Perhaps Project 1.68 will change that. And yes, the companies and USGA too have lots of information. But the companies aren't in the business of publishing research findings. They are in the business of selling clubs. And it's BIG business. They only share with you a technology "story" if it helps sell their latest offerings. And the USGA sure doesn't want you to know that a ProV1 only goes a few yards further than a Tour Balata from the 80's. Kudus to Brian and this team for their efforts to educate the golfing public and it's teachers to the latest findings. I guess there's a lot to get from the manufacturers if you ask nicely and represent the interest of well-intentioned research. Perhaps you guys could get a grant also?

leon

New
Not sure I can agreed with 'hook torque' as a concept. As far as I can remember, all golf ball impacts have pretty much the same duration, even a short putt. This is down to the time it takes a compressive stress wave to travel across the ball, accelerating the initially stationary material as it goes. When it reaches the front the ball is pulled, front first, away from the club and into its flight. So whilst it is commonly held that the ball pushes off from the clubhead, I don't belive that is correct.

Based on this, I don't think it is possible for the ball to develop hook spin, unless some lateral force is applied through friction.

Be interested to hear Dr Wood's opinion on this.

Not sure I can agreed with 'hook torque' as a concept. As far as I can remember, all golf ball impacts have pretty much the same duration, even a short putt. This is down to the time it takes a compressive stress wave to travel across the ball, accelerating the initially stationary material as it goes. When it reaches the front the ball is pulled, front first, away from the club and into its flight. So whilst it is commonly held that the ball pushes off from the clubhead, I don't belive that is correct.

Based on this, I don't think it is possible for the ball to develop hook spin, unless some lateral force is applied through friction.

Be interested to hear Dr Wood's opinion on this.

That seems to support Dr. Wood's assertion that once a ball reaches maximum deformation the clubface can no longer impart any more force to the ball. If the ball is pulling off the face rather than pushing off of it, the logic is much more sound.

S

SteveT

Strange things happen between the driver head and ball at Impact, as the compression of the ball absorbs and alters the effect of swing path (aka line of compression). That's just my intuitive comment.

However, in Science and Golf II - Proceeding of the 1994 World Scientific Congress of Golf - Cochran & Farrally, there is an interesting paper entitled:

Kick back effect of club-head at impact - M Masuda and S. Kojima, Shonan Institute of Technology, Fujisawa, Japan, pgs. 284-89.

This scientific paper investigates the kickback of the driver head during the 0.5 ms Impact event measured on a microsecond basis. They measured the shaft tip deformation during Impact to isolate a flailing action while the ball was still on the clubface. To me, the significance of this study is that radar measurements are too gross and dependent on algorithms to produce data.

Also, the 3/4" Impact duration is about equally split between compression and rebound, so it's only compressing for 3/8" and about half the time of the Impact event. Add to this the trampoline effect of the clubface, and you have a lot of variables influencing the Impact event.

Do not assume that the toe of the driver head toe rotates during Impact because of something done during the downswing or applied by the golfer during Impact, which is doubtful anyway. The driver head behaves like an independent mass during Impact because the flexing shaft tip 'releases' the head as it flexes. So why would the club toe rotate during Impact?

Also, this talk about hitting the inner or outer quadrant of the golf ball is bogus because the impact point and area of the compressed golf ball hardly shifts if you calculate the microscopic angular differences, and then compare that to the amount the ball is crushed. It all vanishes into the scrunched ball and then strange things happen.

There must be more scientific studies on ball-club impact, but who has the time to find them and coordinate all the data.

What I would like to know is what is the consequence of all that "TM" unsubstantiated information?!

Strange things happen between the driver head and ball at Impact, as the compression of the ball absorbs and alters the effect of swing path (aka line of compression). That's just my intuitive comment.

However, in Science and Golf II - Proceeding of the 1994 World Scientific Congress of Golf - Cochran & Farrally, there is an interesting paper entitled:

Kick back effect of club-head at impact - M Masuda and S. Kojima, Shonan Institute of Technology, Fujisawa, Japan, pgs. 284-89.

This scientific paper investigates the kickback of the driver head during the 0.5 ms Impact event measured on a microsecond basis. They measured the shaft tip deformation during Impact to isolate a flailing action while the ball was still on the clubface. To me, the significance of this study is that radar measurements are too gross and dependent on algorithms to produce data.

Also, the 3/4" Impact duration is about equally split between compression and rebound, so it's only compressing for 3/8" and about half the time of the Impact event. Add to this the trampoline effect of the clubface, and you have a lot of variables influencing the Impact event.

Do not assume that the toe of the driver head toe rotates during Impact because of something done during the downswing or applied by the golfer during Impact, which is doubtful anyway. The driver head behaves like an independent mass during Impact because the flexing shaft tip 'releases' the head as it flexes. So why would the club toe rotate during Impact?

Also, this talk about hitting the inner or outer quadrant of the golf ball is bogus because the impact point and area of the compressed golf ball hardly shifts if you calculate the microscopic angular differences, and then compare that to the amount the ball is crushed. It all vanishes into the scrunched ball and then strange things happen.

There must be more scientific studies on ball-club impact, but who has the time to find them and coordinate all the data.

What I would like to know is what is the consequence of all that "TM" unsubstantiated information?!

Something else that I remember from the symposium was Dr. Wood's mention that the clubface rotates into impact, but had little to no rotation during or AFTER impact. Once the ball was gone the clubface still remained relatively squarely faced and did not want to rotate.

S

SteveT

Something else that I remember from the symposium was Dr. Wood's mention that the clubface rotates into impact, but had little to no rotation during or AFTER impact. Once the ball was gone the clubface still remained relatively squarely faced and did not want to rotate.

Thanks for that clarification, which supports my questioning. Once you get into the minutae of the Impact event, you enter into a whole new world.

Theoretically, you could completely release your hand grip on the club just before Impact, and then regrip after Impact .. because you have little to no influence on the Impact event. The only way your hands can consciously influence Impact, is if your actions occur well before Impact, and if you add in your reaction time, that would probably mean you must make your conscious decision starting when the club shaft has reached maybe horizontal into the downswing ..!!

Last edited:

Yeah, I've noticed that even in studying video of Tour pros. The collision may really put the brakes on the clubface rotation....for a short time. But realize too, that if the ball is struck even slightly toe-side of the sweet spot, that the clubface will twist open. I didn't ask my colleague, but a question would be, if toe hits OPEN the clubface during collision and cause the ball to spin more right-to-left, why does a clubface that is CLOSING do the same thing?

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Just for the detractors out there in internet land...

We ASKED THIS QUESTION to Paul Wood at the ANTI-SUMMIT.

His answer was WAY LESS THAN DEGREE.

Todd, thanks for the "help" but posting it in here makes it sound like WE—at BrianManzella.com—are in some kind of "disagreement" about whether it is 0.25° or 2.5°.

We are not.

We are saying NEXT TO NONE.

Or LESS THAN a degree.

Or HARDLY ANY.

We ASKED THIS QUESTION to Paul Wood at the ANTI-SUMMIT.

His answer was WAY LESS THAN DEGREE.

Todd, thanks for the "help" but posting it in here makes it sound like WE—at BrianManzella.com—are in some kind of "disagreement" about whether it is 0.25° or 2.5°.

We are not.

We are saying NEXT TO NONE.

Or LESS THAN a degree.

Or HARDLY ANY.

That's cool. I'm just trying to contribute some interesting and relevant content here. So you're saying that the clubface rotates hardly any during impact? What about the couple feet leading up to impact? Any research numbers available there yet, Brian?

Brian Manzella

Administrator
That's cool. I'm just trying to contribute some interesting and relevant content here. So you're saying that the clubface rotates hardly any during impact? What about the couple feet leading up to impact? Any research numbers available there yet, Brian?

Todd, you didn't do anything wrong.

But, literally, this was our FIRST question to Paul Wood when me, Tom Bartlett, and Mike Finney went to PING for two days last spring.

We also asked it FIRST at the Symposium.

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
Yeah, I've noticed that even in studying video of Tour pros. The collision may really put the brakes on the clubface rotation....for a short time. But realize too, that if the ball is struck even slightly toe-side of the sweet spot, that the clubface will twist open. I didn't ask my colleague, but a question would be, if toe hits OPEN the clubface during collision and cause the ball to spin more right-to-left, why does a clubface that is CLOSING do the same thing?

Does it?

Isnt this all dependent on where the clubface points relative to the path? A clubface that is open to the path and hits on the toe isnt going to impart hookspin.

ej20

New
I find it hard to believe that there is a 15 to 20 mph difference from heel to toe at impact but if it is true then perhaps hinge action does make a difference to ball flight?

My head is starting to hurt from all this new information the past twelve months.

Does it?

Isnt this all dependent on where the clubface points relative to the path? A clubface that is open to the path and hits on the toe isnt going to impart hookspin.

Kev, "gear effect" will overrule the "normal" clubface to path "laws". For example, if the clubface is relatively square to the path at impact, say with the driver, and impact is out on the toe, then the clubface will twist open and the Spin Axis will tilt to the left. The ball will also start farther to the right than if the clubface had remained square. The horizontal "bulge" radius on the clubface, by design, will also contribute to that. Quite a bit going on there that is much different than for impacts on the sweet spot.

Brian, Sorry I missed your Anti-Summit. Looking forward to the video and hopefully attending future events.

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
Kev, "gear effect" will overrule the "normal" clubface to path "laws". For example, if the clubface is relatively square to the path at impact, say with the driver, and impact is out on the toe, then the clubface will twist open and the Spin Axis will tilt to the left. The ball will also start farther to the right than if the clubface had remained square. The horizontal "bulge" radius on the clubface, by design, will also contribute to that. Quite a bit going on there that is much different than for impacts on the sweet spot.

Brian, Sorry I missed your Anti-Summit. Looking forward to the video and hopefully attending future events.

I understand gear effect and all ball flight laws. Forget i posted my response. It was largely responding to whether the face is closing thru impact or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.