Importance of the Toss in the Soft Draw Pattern

Status
Not open for further replies.
While most of the threads on the forum concerning the Soft Draw Pattern focus on the lagging clubhead takeaway, high right elbow/soft left wrist at the top, or the "one last point" and finish, I notice that almost none of them talk about the Toss.

To me, this seems to be one of the most quintessential moves to the pattern. It promotes so many good things and fixes so many things the Soft Draw Pattern was designed to fix. It helps you snap the kinetic chain, achieve the "one last point" and finish, and avoid the "block" release and finish.

In my own experience, the Toss has been tremendous. It helps me snap my chain better, and most importantly keeps me from getting below plane. I have only recently discovered the importance of it, and hope others that may have not experimented with it too much will give it a shot.

Brian and Academy, what say you?

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
If you can get over the urge to drag the handle or over control the club thru impact, the toss will give you that last bit of speed or force for max distance for this pattern. As in the video, im sure some experienced players will feel flippy and the lesser player who didnt have much delay might toss it a little too soon. But...I think it is obviously a vital part of the pattern.

Every now and then, you don't sound so young "B.E.N."
Northern Texas PGA

Click on this.
Click on junior golf foundation button on the left.
Click on player of the year/statistics.
Go to collumn titled player of the year. Choose 2008.
On last name type Avery
On first name type Ben
There you can see all my scores throughout the summer. I was very underplane then. I could only shoot those scores because of my short game. I read Bobby Clampetts book the impact zone which lead me to this forum. Jim probably remembers my hit down with the driver debate.

Jim Ned High School - Golf

Here is my golf pictures from when I was a freshmen. I'm the one sitting on the rock with the blue hat. My brother Jace is the next picture down. He is known as cajunman on this forum but never writes only reads. He changed his name from thegolfingmachine to cajunman so he would get a free web video from you. You really helped his chickenwing by the way. The next picture is me sighing after i lipped out a putt. My mom really likes it and has it on the fridge. Yes this is Tuscola Texas home of Colt Mccoy. We went to church with him at Oldham Lane Church of Christ and I went over his little brother's Casey Mccoy's house alot to play. My dad is the girls coach over here and we won state last year in basketball. He's 6'5 and my brother's 6'4 but I'm starting to grow and am 6'1 at the moment.

I'm sorry if I don't sound 16. I just thought you guys wouldn't take me serious around here if I didn't sound smart. I make As and Bs. I am in all the advanced classes so I'm not dumb. I am not some rebel teenager. I am happy I found this website young. You fixed me from being underplane Mr. Manzella and I am thankful for that. However for some reason I am leaving the face a little open coming down sometimes. I am sorry for being offtopic but I just thought you should know. Hopefully if I do everything you say I can get a golf scholarship to a D1 college.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Northern Texas PGA

Click on this.
On last name type Avery
On first name type Ben
There you can see all my scores throughout the summer. I was very underplane then. I could only shoot those scores because of my short game. I read Bobby Clampetts book the impact zone which lead me to this forum. Jim probably remembers my hit down with the driver debate.

Here is my golf pictures from when I was a freshmen. I'm the one sitting on the rock with the blue hat. My brother Jace is the next picture down. He is known as cajunman on this forum but never writes only reads. He changed his name from thegolfingmachine to cajunman so he would get a free web video from you. You really helped his chickenwing by the way. The next picture is me sighing after i lipped out a putt. My mom really likes it and has it on the fridge. Yes this is Tuscola Texas home of Colt Mccoy. We went to church with him at Oldham Lane Church of Christ and I went over his little brother's Casey Mccoy's house alot to play. My dad is the girls coach over here and we won state last year in basketball. He's 6'5 and my brother's 6'4 but I'm starting to grow and am 6'1 at the moment.

I'm sorry if I don't sound 16. I just thought you guys wouldn't take me serious around here if I didn't sound smart. I make As and Bs. I am in all the advanced classes so I'm not dumb. I am not some rebel teenager. I am happy I found this website young. You fixed me from being underplane Mr. Manzella and I am thankful for that. However for some reason I am leaving the face a little open coming down sometimes. I am sorry for being offtopic but I just thought you should know. Hopefully if I do everything you say I can get a golf scholarship to a D1 college.

Tell you what Ben.

I can help you.

Call me anytime at 502.417.4653 and I'll give you some things to work on.

Northern Texas PGA

Click on this.
On last name type Avery
On first name type Ben

Ben,

Glad to have a young'n here. Your posts definitely don't seem like a 16 year old's. This is a good thing :).

Get the Soft Draw Pattern video. The Toss is a part of the pattern explaining the "release" in the swing.

The Toss would make certain "other" teachers roll their eyes, or better yet barf. They would scoff and call it a "flip" and try to convince you that you're losing lag pressure, blah, blah.

But it just made Geoff Ogilvy $1.12 million this week :D.

Northern Texas PGA

Click on this.
On last name type Avery
On first name type Ben

i know exactly how you feel :cool:

when i joined this forum i was only 17, and i knew if i let anyone think that, they would dismiss my responses. nearly 700+ post later i finally let known my age. doesnt seem to have stopped the effectiveness of my responses;)

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
B.E.N.,

I know you didnt ask me, but my biggest advice to you is...

1. Keep on smartening up like you are....great job
2. Get stronger. The moves you are going to try to make are difficult for juniors and get significantly easier when you are strong in the right areas

Good luck

Thank you Kevin. I am in the weight room every 7th period because my dad makes me.
I feel like I've gained some added distance since, but I also grew 4 inches since May which probally helped.

Sit at a table, with hand on table, and without moving your elbow, ball up newspaper. Kevin is dead on. I started playing at fourteen, using clubs that were too heavy for me. Even though I got stronger, an underplane move was ingrained, the results of which I still fight thirty years later. I wish this site existed then.

Ha!

I always thought your name was some sort of weird reference to Ben Doyle...

B.E.N. said:
My brother Jace is the next picture down. He is known as cajunman on this forum but never writes only reads. He changed his name from thegolfingmachine to cajunman so he would get a free web video from you.

Ha.

Status
Not open for further replies.