In the "Slot" & Elbow vs. Turned Shoulder Plane

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hear this alot and read about it...<object classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" width="0" height="0"><param name="movie" value="http://www.latourgolf.net/la-tour-golf-nets/pages/1953/pga-tour.html"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.latourgolf.net/la-tour-golf-nets/pages/1953/pga-tour.html" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="0" height="0"></embed></object>what exaclty does this mean?

its a term coined by jim mclean a long while back. basically it means when you get to parallel for the last tme before impact, the club is parallel to the target line

Guitar Hero

Ben Hogan used the word “The Slot” for a position he was working on at the top of the back swing.

I use the word “In The Slot” to describe the sweet spot balanced position on the down swing.

I've always interpreted it like this picture as being "in the slot"
post-44929-1201620221-3.jpg

At this point in the swing, Hogan's clubshaft is 'covering the right arm.' Most of the pros have similar type of positions with the clubshaft. Most amateurs do more of the opposite and the shaft is covering the left arm. Thus, a steep, over the top and often casting motion by the amateur.

3JACK

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
3JACK...only people who use the elbow plane on the downswing will look like that.

Also no matter where the term originated the majority of "in the slot" means is the "slot area" between the "backswing path" and the "downswing path" for the line drawers.

They equate this as the "slot" on the downswing.

Burner

New
There's a lot to be said for having A UNIVERSAL GOLFING VOCABULARY.

"In the slot" to me, and anyone who has experienced a pump-type drill.

means getting back on plane, having taken the hands from the TOP of the swing to the END, as the first move in the downswing.

Apologies to our gracious Host for the use of another Pros material in order to make my point.

Last edited:

Dariusz J.

3JACK...only people who use the elbow plane on the downswing will look like that.

Also no matter where the term originated the majority of "in the slot" means is the "slot area" between the "backswing path" and the "downswing path" for the line drawers.

They equate this as the "slot" on the downswing.

Jim, better said, only those people who are capable of using the elbow plane. The earlier a golfer can reach the elbow plane in the downswing, the better for his/hers ballstriking ability.

Cheers

Phil Mickelson's old coach also teach Phil, never turn your shoulder during the downswing, just drop your hands down. Have your back facing the target as long as possible. I have tried this, but no success.

Phil Mickelson's old coach also teach Phil, never turn your shoulder during the downswing, just drop your hands down. Have your back facing the target as long as possible. I have tried this, but no success.

Jen,
For the average player. the above advice would probably lead to being way under plane on the downswing (lots of fats)......it's very hard to hit at something in front of you (the ball) while holding your shoulders pointing to the right...very unnatural..

I think the correct advice would be to TILT your shoulders as the first motion (which brings your hands down without any pulling,or upper arm separation) and then TURN through the impact zone and finish...

This, of course, is all controlled by the hip pivot...

Jen,
For the average player. the above advice would probably lead to being way under plane on the downswing (lots of fats)......it's very hard to hit at something in front of you (the ball) while holding your shoulders pointing to the right...very unnatural..

I think the correct advice would be to TILT your shoulders as the first motion (which brings your hands down without any pulling,or upper arm separation) and then TURN through the impact zone and finish...

Yeah, i have tried everything, I think this advice is very good. Brian also mentioned have your left shoulder up longer instead of dragging the club and cutting the ball. But i think if you have a good pivot, just leave the shoulder turning alil bit later. Everytime I turn my shoulder too fast i pull the ball 10 yards to the left, so i just try to leave my shoulder there alil bit longer. You can see on hogan's picture above his shoulder is still closed, i'm guessing for me i would have been closed in that position, and therefore i leave it there alil bit longer.

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
Jim, better said, only those people who are capable of using the elbow plane. The earlier a golfer can reach the elbow plane in the downswing, the better for his/hers ballstriking ability.

Cheers

So you are arguing the best ballstrikers only used the elbow plane and those who don't could have been better if they did?

more hall of famers use the elbow plane than hall of famers who don't, but doesn't mean those who don't would be better if they did use the elbow plane.

Dariusz J.

So you are arguing the best ballstrikers only used the elbow plane and those who don't could have been better if they did?

Not exactly this. IMHO, theoretically from the biomechanical point of view, the most sound pattern would be a pattern that stays on the elbow plane all the motion. Even early Homer Kelley noticed it.
Since it is not possible to perform such a thing due to the fact how our elbow joints function, I claim that the longer a golfer can stay on the elbow plane with forearm perpendicular to the spine angle during downswing the bigger are chances for consistency in a in-to-in swing pattern.

Another question is why some golfers, even the great ones, are not able to use the early elbow plane pattern. And this is a question to you and, first of all, to Brian.

BTW, Lee Trevino of course uses the elbow plane during downswing. And, moreover, how greatly he does this...sort of beauty:

Historic Golf Photos | Trevino Swing Sequence 9600 golf pictures, golf photography.....

Cheers

P.S. Sorry for a sort of threadjack with this elbow plane, but I think it is important to discuss this aspect in this thread.

Not exactly this. IMHO, theoretically from the biomechanical point of view, the most sound pattern would be a pattern that stays on the elbow plane all the motion. Even early Homer Kelley noticed it.
Since it is not possible to perform such a thing due to the fact how our elbow joints function, I claim that the longer a golfer can stay on the elbow plane with forearm perpendicular to the spine angle during downswing the bigger are chances for consistency in a in-to-in swing pattern.

Another question is why some golfers, even the great ones, are not able to use the early elbow plane pattern. And this is a question to you and, first of all, to Brian.

BTW, Lee Trevino of course uses the elbow plane during downswing. And, moreover, how greatly he does this...sort of beauty:

Historic Golf Photos | Trevino Swing Sequence 9600 golf pictures, golf photography.....

Cheers

P.S. Sorry for a sort of threadjack with this elbow plane, but I think it is important to discuss this aspect in this thread.

nice.

Cheers

Mr. Kelley himself did not use the elbow plane. Neither Jack nor Tiger. It is more what works best for the individual. Most Elbow planners double plane shift.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
its a term coined by jim mclean a long while back. basically it means when you get to parallel for the last tme before impact, the club is parallel to the target line

The term "The Slot" was around when Mc Lean was still in his Daddy's thoughts, and probably, way before that.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Ahh....nope.

Jen,

Not in every pattern Mr. Mad.

In fact, in some patterns, nearly the opposite.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
The downswing plane.

This club is JUST AS MUCH "in the slot" as any other photo.

0763-7643.jpg

"In the slot" simply means, loaded and ready, and often on your through-swing plane.

And as far as using the Elbow Plane—like Hogan, or Turned Shoulder Plane—like Nicklaus, it is VERY individual and NOT just a choice.

And, there is no advantage to either.

Status
Not open for further replies.